MFG Niagara Rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. What's the plan for getting the new transom wood installed? The way it sits now I'm afraid you're going to have difficulty getting the new wood core installed. Removing some of the rivets from the cap and cutting away more of the inside lip should allow you get the wood in place with out having to totally remove the cap or cut it.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. What's the plan for getting the new transom wood installed? The way it sits now I'm afraid you're going to have difficulty getting the new wood core installed. Removing some of the rivets from the cap and cutting away more of the inside lip should allow you get the wood in place with out having to totally remove the cap or cut it.

yeah, that is what I plan to do and clean up the cuts.

For some reason, I seem to be drawn to the older fiberglass lapstrake hulls :friendly_wink:

fstorm08

Did a little bleach and water with a scrub brush and cleaned it even more:

I also did a little area on the deck:

She's cleaning up pretty well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If your not planning on painting you may be able to cut and buff the old gell back to a decent shine ...

fstorm08

If your not planning on painting you may be able to cut and buff the old gell back to a decent shine ...

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

By cut, do you mean using a rubbing or polishing compound?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wet sand . Start with about 800 and go to about 2000 grit . Then use the compound .. Lots of youtube vids out there . Careful not to be too aggressive because you will burn through the gell ..

fstorm08

hummmm. I just might try that. Thanks for the idea Sam!

Last edited:

fstorm08

I was wondering if anyone that has a Niagara with a capacity plate could take a pic and either post for me or pm me it, I would be very grateful?
Thanks everyone!
Ryan

fstorm08

Thanks Sam. I thought I had seen somewhere that it was about 1200-1300 but might be mistaken.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That may be right with the Niagara being a little smaller boat

fstorm08

Hi Everyone,

I am kinda scratching my head on this one....

I know the chips in the fiberglass deck are more likely from someone tossing something into the boat but what is up with the (what looks like) stress cracks on the fiberglass deck?

We know this model has fiberglass stringers and deck so I am wondering what everyone thinks about it:confused:

Thanks for following and any advice / your 2cents.

R

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mine had some of those cracks also .. I.m trying to think what I did with them . I think I dremeled a little groove and filled with some pb .. They haven't come back yet that I have seen ..
Where did you find the plate ?

fstorm08

Somehow came across the plate pick after searching the web many times with different search parameters.

Thanks sphelps

Last edited:

fstorm08

Just a quick update everyone.

Have not really done anything else to the Niagara at this point.

Work has been crazy so in the evening I have been stripping bunch of old wire I had for the copper and see how much I get in scrap for it to get some funds for resin and stuff to do the transom.

I hope all are having a GREAT summer so far!

Thanks for following along on another resto ride!

-Ryan

fstorm08

Started work last night on her.
The kids helped me get the windshield off.

I'll post more in a little bit along with some pics.

Thanks for following :)
Ryan

fstorm08

Took a ride to Portsmouth this am and picked up for resin, cat, 1.5 csm and 1708 :D

I had been thinking about all the different nests I had been finding through out the boat so far and thought (as the boat has fiberglass stringers and deck) I would lower the tongue of the trailer and get the hose going running water up towards the bow, the jack it up and have the water wash out an crap that might be under the deck. Well the first time I did get what must have been a mouse nest came flowing out. "Hummm that worked pretty good", so i did it again. Managed to get more water in there this time and jacked it up again. Got 2 more nests out and a bunch of dirt... sweet!

I let it drain the rest of the day and the kids and I put on a surprise b-day party for the wife :happy:.

More to come....