MFG Niagara Rebuild

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here's some pics:

After poking around at this stuff under the cap and between the cap edge and hull, it looks like there is wood in there and not sure what the white stuff is. Heavy though but maybe it the soaked wood inside it? Any idea or what it is?

Has anyone replaced it with anything or just filled in the cracks? :confused:

fstorm08

Only have one of these:

Has anyone been able to find anything similar to this?

I also have what looks like I enough hinges and legs for 2 "Fun in the Sun" seats (which I think was an option on the '63) that I will not be needing.

If anyone has been looking for these, PM me and we I can give you more details.

Thanks again for following and glad pretty much most of the grinding is done... YAYYYYYY!!!! :joyous::clap2::thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mine did not have the little wood block that I can remember .. I didn't cut the cap though .. I just chipped away enough of the white filler along the edge and lifted it up to gain access to the transom .. Then refilled it with pb when it went back together ..
Glad to see your back at it !

fstorm08

Thanks Sam. Money has been very tight so I am glad to finally have some stuff to get going on it before... dare I say it.... winter :)

fstorm08

Made some more progress this week.

Got the bow eye and backer out. Also got it all ground out too. Gonna put in a layers of 1.5 csm | 1708biax | 1.5csm before I pb in the new backer, then csm and biax and she should be good.

The arrows and circles and pointing out what looks like wrinkles in the finish. I did sand this down in an area and the glass beneath did not have any damage to it.

Anyone ever see this before?

Got the cardboard transom template done and fitted. Then transferred it onto one of the transom layers of wood, sanded and fit it.

Got the second piece of wood traced out, cut and fitted as well.

Screwed then together and tested the fit. Fits pretty good. Finish sanding will be done after the lamination is done.

Got them laminating together tonight with plenty of Titebond III glue:

fstorm08

I also have come across more of the wrinkles and cracks in the finish on the inside.

Again the glass underneath does not have any damage:

I believe I asked in the previous post but does anyone have any input on what they think this is?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks like where the factory did not sand it well before spraying the gell .. Mine had some similar spots ...
I hated the duck pond up under the bow so I filled it in .. Then made some drainage holes on the raised lip where the deck steps up .. No more duck pond to have to towel out .. :)
Btw , isn't your transom curved ?

fstorm08

Thanks Sam.
The transom is straight in this one.
I agree, it is kind of an odd setup for that shelf in the bow.
Good idea on filling the little pond :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I.m not really sure what they put the little gully in there for ... Maybe added strength ..idk I have some pics on how I made the drainage holes in my old thread .. Ill see if I can dig them up ..

fstorm08

Did a little more work today.

Got the 2 layers of 1.5oz csm on the backside of the transom:

Also wanted to check out this stuff between the cap and hull.

Looks like wallboard material with wood every so far:

I son started writing on the driveway like it was chalk.

I hope all had a GREAT Labor Day weekend!

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

fstorm08

Sam, Did you leave the rest of this stuff on yours?

I looks like there are a bunch of cracks all around on mine.

No sure it I should try to fill the cracks with something to seal?

Any thought on this?

Thank you!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yes mine was cracked up also . I just filled them with pb . But mine was flipped over at the time . Made it easier . Nice thick pb squished up in there should do the trick . It may crack again but you don't really see it .

fstorm08

Yes mine was cracked up also . I just filled them with pb . But mine was flipped over at the time . Made it easier . Nice thick pb squished up in there should do the trick . It may crack again but you don't really see it .

Thanks you for the info... much appreciated!

Ryan

fstorm08

I have been getting more work done on the boat. Unfortunately I have not been to good at taking pics and posting on this one as I did the last resto. :facepalm:

Yesterday morning I got the final layers of csm and 1708 on the inside of the transom.

I then got it pb'd it in and clamped it last night.

I was able to remove the clamps this afternoon and finished pbing and filleting the edges:

Unfortunately I ran out of resin. :mmph:

I have one side tabbed in with CSM but will need to grind a bit and tabbed with 1708 too and finish the other side with pbing and tabbing once I get more resin.

I hope everyone is doing well and thanks for following along!

Ryan

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good progress !
Yep the resin sure has a way of disappearing quickly ... I,m on my 4rth 5-gal pail on the Manatee rebuild ...

fstorm08

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the summer?!?!

Just to give a quick update.

The restore has been shelved for this year.

Recovering from 3 level lumbar fusion so need to follow the docs orders to a T to get this right the first time :)

I will pop in more and talk to you all soon!

-Ryan

Last edited:

fstorm08

Been a while. Hope everyone is doing good?
The back surgery did a number on me but am starting to get myself back to my hobbies.
I'll be back on regularly
:):)