Need Major Help

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok , I've Cut The Bad Section Out , I'm Guessing I Have To Grind and/or Sand Everything Flat and Smooth. What Materials Should I Get ?

Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
R/O sander or 4 1/2" grinder with a backup pad and 36 grit resin coated discs. Harbor Freight has all of this relatively cheap. Post of the pics so we can see what you've got. Is there wood in the surrounding deck areas? If so, how thick is it? You'll want to match the thickness. What can you see below? Does it look dry or wet?

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wood Is 1/4 in , Below Is Dry. The Raise Area Is 1 1/2 in , I'll Get Wood For That As / Well , Is There A type Of Wood To Purchase and / or Just Ply Wood ?

Just To Let You know , I Live In The Country , It's A 30 Min Drive to Town , If There's Other Materials I Can Start Picking Up , That Will Be Great.

Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ext. Grade Plywood is fine. Gallon of Fiberglass resin. 2 yards of Fiberglass mat 2 yards of fiberglass Cloth. 4" nylon paint roller, Cheap Chip brushes, Mixing cups etc.. Post some pics of the work you've done and the cut out area.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I guess thats the live well in the middle .. That sure isn't making it easy .. Is there room to slide some 3/4" plywood between the top of the tub and the bottom of the deck ?

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll Take Another Pic From Underneath , No Way To Get A Sheet Of Ply Wood Underneath , Unless There's Some Other Way , I'm Thinking To Cut Some Ply Wood Into Sections and Place Them Underneath , Then Do What I Need From The Top.

What Ever You Guys Think , I'm At A Loss

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What is the livewell made out of ? If it's plywood and glass you may need to cut it down some install new wood then patch it back .. Do you have access from the 2 outside compartments ?

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Pic's

Attachments

• photo221527.jpg
    photo221527.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221528.jpg
    photo221528.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221529.jpg
    photo221529.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221530.jpg
    photo221530.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is there any access from the front where the plywood is broken out ? The way I see it there will need to be some sort of bulkhead fastened somehow across the thin rear section . Has the seat mount always been there ? Seems like a kinda not so good design ..

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cut Out The Section and Did Some Sanding.

Is the livewell fiberglass? I was thinking if it is, maybe you could glass in some cleats to the sides around the top of the live well and leave a 3/4 inch gap so you you could slide in the plywood and then glass the bottom of the ply to the sides of the livewell.
I wish I could do that fancy computer tricky stuff and show you what I mean.
Just a thought.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, I'm a bit confused. Is the piece cut into several pieces??? Or is this how badly it was damage that it was IN this many pieces?? How thick is the wood that's showing on the underside of the existing deck? How wide is that lip?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, I'll draw up and explain my plan and post it soon. You can decide if you think it's a viable solution or not. Others may have better ideas as well. Very poor design, IMHO!!!!

Ok I'm assuming the wood is 3/4" thick. I'd cut it back about another 1 1/2" as shown in the drawing so new wood can rest on the edge. I would then use a multitool or dremel to carefully cut the glass along the edges shown along the mid points between the openings. this will allow the plywood to have support along all 4 edges. I would also install an additional 3/4" plate on the bottom of the new wood as reinforcement for the seat. All of this will be epoxied and glassed into place. I hope this all makes sense. I can "See" it in my head but probably not explaining it very well.:blue:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is the livewell fiberglass?

That's what I'm wondering .. Can you take a pic of the outer compartment side and how the livewell terminates at the top .
If It's made of plastic then maybe cut it down just enough to slide some wood over the top as far as you can go then maybe run a couple of deadlegs/post under it down to the hull . Or better yet a plywood bulkhead on each side . That will be on the outer compartment side .
Does that make sense ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody if I am understanding ya you would cut it back further and install 3/4 ply on top of the lip ? I think that would keep the outer hatch lids from closing ..
Any wood thats added would need to go under the lip except for the top filler piece that will bring it up to correct height ..
That was my original thought of cutting the top outside corner instead of the bottom inside corner . It would have left more to glass to .
Maybe I'm not seeing it right ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Not if you cut at the mid point. If you look at it there appears to be a bit of a divider between the hatch recess and where the plywood needs to go. Aren't the hatches Recessed??? At least that's what I THINK I'm seeing BUT then again I AM an Old Dumb Okie soooo I could be totally WRONG!!!!!:eek::D

Last edited: