Quick'n Easy repair? Maybe

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
This is the 14' aluminum rowboat I inherited that was in sad repair when I got it. I have posted a couple times about this and will link them here and then use this topic to add updates as I go. They can be found here.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...gine-topics/9916031-14-row-boat-id-crestliner
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...and-hull-repair/9918865-easy-transom-question

As I stated in the other topics this boat came with no ID what so ever. No registration numbers and no HID either. It's origin and history are still in question though thru searching I think I have it narrowed down to a pre 1970 Rich Line. All I've seen post 1970 have a lapstrake design like the MirroCrafts. Yet by the drain located in the bottom I'm more inclined to believe it's pre 1960's.

Well I finally almost have the transom wood replaced. Because all the wood was missing when I got this it was a bit bent out of shape and the one corner bracket that I had to remove along with the corner caps don't quite line up with the original holes.

Used 3/4" 5 ply Premium ABX ply from Menards, treated it with the old timers recipe and then given 3 coats of spar urethane on each side with the ends getting a coat while doing each side. So the ends have 6+ coat.

Still need to find handles for the transom and reattach the corner caps. Then I'll start to think about paint. So here are a few pix's.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
1st time using it but I have to say when I went to Ace to get the Linseed and spar the lady in the paint dept. knew exactly what I was going to do and told me she has used it for many years while reburbing furniture. It went on pretty nicely as I brushed it on and kept adding until it looked like it wasn't absorbing any more. It also didn't use as much as I was expecting. So now the test of time begins! Will say it took longer than I expected between the drying time and waiting on weather.

I also know now that I will be using it on the hatch panels for the live well and rod locker on the Alumacraft as I'll be recovering those with carpet seeing as my other idea of staining and varnishing those isn't going to pan out. Just couldn't find any very nice clean sheets of marine ply at Menards. Everything I looked at had footballs in the A face.

Tomorrow I hope to get the caps on, the corner brace installed and maybe try fitting the old 9.5hp Johnson on it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gunna keep it the same color ? Matches the truck now ...
At some point I want to restore a tinnie .. Maybe one will fall it my lap one day ..

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Most likely it will be red as I have a qt. of Rustoleum Marine already on hand but will probably strip the bottom bare. As for a resto, no, more likely just a repair to get it usable again, there are just too many bumps and dings in it for a resto. As soon as I get this transom completed I'm going to have to do the trailer and I know you all are going to love seeing this antique trailer. Right now it looks like a wreck but it's actually pretty solid.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, it takes some good hot direct sunlight to dry that BLO out. 3 days is usually the norm. Then 3 coats of full strength Polyurethane varnish will really give a nice finish to the outside and give it some scuff resistance as well. With the deep penetration of the oil, even if it does get scratched or gouged the wood will still be protected especially if you got good penetration on the edges which it sounds like you did. I'm bettin' you'll like the results.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Got the transom and caps finished today. Got the 9.5hp put on and running sweet. Started to pull a wheel from the trailer and stripped 3 lug bolts from the hub, they were that rusted on. Looks like it's also going to need bearings and a seal. Axel spindle looks good. So it's getting there and hope to have it on the water in the next few days.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Finally splashed this lil ol' tinner and everything went pretty well. Hull is dry as can be and actually rides pretty nicely to boot. Had a friend with and there was about 450lbs in it with the 2 of us, fishing gear, fuel and not counting the weight the old 9.5hp Johnson. She's not fast but will get up to plain with this load and will operate in about 18" of water. Would probably be better suited to a 15 or 20hp but I already have the 9.5hp.

The biggest problem I see right way is with the trailer. For one it sits too high. With this backed all the way into the water at my very shallow ramp/launch site the engine is still about 6" out of the water! So I guess if I'm going to keep it and use it at this launch site I'm going to have to find a tilt trailer for it.