My Rotten Lady

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Removed the carpet that was installed on the sides of the boat since the glue was failing. I scraped off as much of the old carpet glue as I could. Ran 80 grit paper over it. The surface is a very thick woven glass cloth and the glue was shot on with a nozzle so I cannot get all the old glue out of the dimples.

So I got a good primer and paint in gray since the carpet was grey. I will pre wash in acetone and apply primer and see what happens.

Attachments

• photo228942.jpg
    photo228942.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228943.jpg
    photo228943.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228944.jpg
    photo228944.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might try a little Xylene(xylol) on the glue. That stuff will eat just about anything but won't hurt the fiberglass.;) (Wear Gloves and a Mask)

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I'll pick up a gallon. Acetone got some of it but not like I wanted. Thank you.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
So I have a question concerning bedding the stringers and the bulkheads to the hull.
Do I want to use 1/4 inch foam spacers so the wood does not come in contact with the hull?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, or popsicle sticks, or old folded up Parking tickets!!! Anything to hold it up off the hull while the PB cures. Then pull em out and fill in the gaps.;):D

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, or popsicle sticks, or old folded up Parking tickets!!! Anything to hold it up off the hull while the PB cures. Then pull em out and fill in the gaps.;):D

Lol. Ok I have 50 popsicle sticks I got for stir sticks. Thanks. No tickets tg

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

You might try a little Xylene(xylol) on the glue. That stuff will eat just about anything but won't hurt the fiberglass.;) (Wear Gloves and a Mask)
That did it. Applied it with a 4 inch peanut roller flooding surface. Waited 5 minutes and removed with cloth. Vacuumed up scraps. Simple. Thanks. Applied primer today. Topcoat tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo229093.jpg
    photo229093.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229094.jpg
    photo229094.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229095.jpg
    photo229095.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Well the temps were in the high 80's so I didn't get the work done that I wanted to this weekend. Its just too much for me with all the PPE on so I did other tasks that needed to be done. Installed a new bow eye. Made PB and filled in more holes and then sanded them out. Removed all the wood work from the boat. Installed a new screen in the cuddy door assembly. Refinished all the wood work by washing in TSP, then tilex spray, then baking soda. Used Starbrite Teak refinisher 3 coats and sealed it off with Howards Bees Wax with orange oil. Came our really nice.

Supposed to be near 90 all week so I wont be doing much work unfortunately. I have re adjusted my splash date to July 4th 2016. I think I'm goanna lay it up October 1 and start fishing. I am going to take it up to the canvas shop this winter and have all new canvas and frames made the way I want it. The shop stated they did many Hamptons back in the day and are very familiar with the boat design. They estimated 3300.00 for a cockpit cover with arch for rod holders and aerial lights and a full trailer cover.

20150828_173036_resized.jpg 20150830_102353_resized.jpg

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Well I got some work done last night. It was hot and humid like pea soup. Mosquitos were out in full force. Place the cabin opening teak back on the boat, Have three more pieces to refinish and the door knob and Ill be done with that.
20150831_203824_resized.jpg 20150831_202148_resized.jpg

Mark72233

Ensign
That's looking very nice. I am going to steal the screen idea from you for my bifold door. That looks very clean.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
That's looking very nice. I am going to steal the screen idea from you for my bifold door. That looks very clean.

Makes it nice Mark when the ole biting flies come out in late summer.

I also made a screen for the hatch opening by stapling / gluing with 3M 77 , 3/4 male Velcro all around the outer edge of the screen material. Made it two inches larger than the hatch opening, folded over 1 inch on the edges before attaching Velcro. This then sticks very well to the Monkey Fur that's on the ceiling.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Well the mice ate the foam out of the back of each seat the size of a diner plate. Seat bottoms out on you back. The seat portion is fine. Also did some trim damage. Took it to 2 shops. Both want 300 min to redo. Any wisdom?

Attachments

• photo229485.jpg
    photo229485.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229486.jpg
    photo229486.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229487.jpg
    photo229487.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I also made a screen for the hatch opening by stapling / gluing with 3M 77 , 3/4 male Velcro all around the outer edge of the screen material. Made it two inches larger than the hatch opening, folded over 1 inch on the edges before attaching Velcro. This then sticks very well to the Monkey Fur that's on the ceiling.

I thought about doing the same. How is the monkey fur holding up? I thought it might get all frayed and nasty looking. The Admiral might not like that...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my boat has velcro loops around the perimeter on the inside.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
I thought about doing the same. How is the monkey fur holding up? I thought it might get all frayed and nasty looking. The Admiral might not like that...

Yes it gets a little messy but not too bad over the years. U can trim that stuff with small shears. I've had one in all my boats with hatches. Can't deal with biting insects.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Well I went up to Lake Erie and worked on the "donor boat". I found a big shade tree and started at 6am. Removed all the systems in the boat. All hardware and teak wood trims. Even took the hatch assembly since it all fits the new project boat. I winterized the engine with 5 gallons of -100 degree anti freeze and fogged it with 30sae oil. I then removed all wiring, cables and hoses to the engine in preparation for the marina to remove and store the outdrive and engine since I wont have the boat completed this year.

So this Saturday the ole girl goes to the Erie County landfill. She was a great boat for 15 years. Never broke down once. My family has a lot of good memories. My daughter requested the teal windows and door to repurposed at here house in memory of the boat. I thought that was cool thing for a young person.

I was surprised to see that the drive system hour meter showed 1380 hours. That's a lot. When I went to start her up she started first time as she always does after being dry-docked since June.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Well I went up to Lake Erie ...

...the ole girl goes to the Erie County landfill. .

You must be near me. Just curious, what is the "Erie County landfill"?
Thanks for the reply on the monkey fur/velcro'd screen. I hope you don't mind if I steal your design.

Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
You must be near me. Just curious, what is the "Erie County landfill"?
Thanks for the reply on the monkey fur/velcro'd screen. I hope you don't mind if I steal your design.

It's by Milan. My boat is in Huron. They will take it off trailer for 25.
I'm glad I could help someone on here.