Rebuilding Engine/sunbathing Hatch - Need Wood or Other Recommendation

gjcombs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Experts,

I am in process of rebuilding my boat's engine hatch/sunbathing platform. It has a fiberglass support piece but also has/had plywood pieces that have rotted due to water getting past the vinyl and soaking the foam and wood. I am looking to fix this right but do not want to over-do it.

Here are my questions:

1. What should be my wood selection? The wood will be in contact with water frequently and for long periods. I think this is my practical answer but am not sure if it should be pressure treated as it is hygrophobic so am thinking of painting it.

2. Should I paint it? With what?

3. Go with AZEK? Starboard? I have concern about flexing.

4. Go with HDPE? I like the idea of this. But that will cost me $250 for a 4x8 sheet and am not sure the stiffness is the same. I am concerned about heat making it too flexible and compromising the fiberglass portion it will be attached to.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would just use plywood and seal it better. If this is the boat in your signature that is currently 21 years old, I think you could seal the plywood so that it lasts at least 21 years. That long enough? :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Exterior grade plywood and coat it with polyester resin

robert graham

Admiral
There's a lot of laminates, plastics, fiberglass, plywoods,etc. To choose from...research it and give it some thought....I have a large sun/fish deck made of 2X6 treated lumber with 1/2 X 4 inch treated boards screwed on there....some urethane on it...has held up very well and boards can easily be braced up and/or replaced...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've done similar repairs,I get all the old rotted wood off,sand,get some marine grade plywood,seal with resin,pb it in,lay a layer of woven over it,fill and fair it out,paint or gel coat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I would just use plywood and seal it better. If this is the boat in your signature that is currently 21 years old, I think you could seal the plywood so that it lasts at least 21 years. That long enough? :)

+1
Exterior grade ply, sealed well, will last a very long time. I don't know how many screw holes you'll need to make, but if you want to go a bit overboard drill every one of them oversize. Fill the holes with epoxy (I like West System Six 10 with the mixer tip) then redrill to the correct size next day. Between sealing the exterior of the ply, and sealing the screw holes against water intrusion, you'll be showing that job to your grandkids :joyous:

oldjeep

Admiral
Starboard. (Which is basically HDPE) - most modern boats don't use wood, and in a spot that is going to be wet frequently why use it again?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Starboard is not nearly as stiff as plywood so if the piece was not designed for starboard in the first place, there will be flex issues.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd use 3/4" ext. grade Plywood and treat it myself with this...

and then put 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint on it with the added hardener. Do that and your Grandkids kids will be using it!!!:eek::D;)

gjcombs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

and then put 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint on it with the added hardener. Do that and your Grandkids kids will be using it!!!:eek::D;)
Thank you for your help!!!

gjcombs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I noticed that you say to follow up with full strength POLYURETHANE and not more SPAR URETHANE. Are you thinking to use full strength SPAR?

UPDATE - I found an earlier post that answered this. Thanks!!

Last edited: