Transom Concerns

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a homemade 14' fiberglass tri hull boat. I got it from a friend of mine many years ago. It is a fairly small boat that resembles a Boston Whaler except that it is smaller and the gunnels are not as high. I use a 15hp evinrude 2 stroke. I have done several enhancements myself such as installing a small center console with all the engine controls.

This year, I am inspecting the boat and looking for anything that may need attention. Of course, an important thing to look at is the transom. I removed the aluminum cap over the transom to take a look. From what I see, water has definitely entered the transom, and I believe the water entered through the top cap. The builder did a terrible job sealing the cap and used many screws into the top of the transom to hold the cap down.

I have not had any issues so far. I don't see any stress cracks anywhere on the boat nor have I noticed any significant flexing. However, seeing the transom like this has me worried.

I am interested to know what people think and what I should do. I will try to get some pics posted.

Thanks,
Brian

Willyclay

Captain
Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The members here are great and the experts can help you with any issues on your boat, motor and trailer. I am probably not the best member to reply to your Q since I removed what was left of the plywood transom core in my previous boat with a shovel. Good luck!

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After studying the pictures for a bit, it looks like there is a significant structure dividing the layers of the transom. This seems peculiar to me.

johnnybgood

Seaman
Not being an expert but having just gone through a transom replacement it looks like there is delamination of all the layers --wood to wood to fiberglass. If it were me I'd replace it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
With the delamination of the 2 wooden core pieces, the inner skin, and some of the outer skin in the corners... it looks like your transom wasn't fabricated correctly in the first place. I would remove and replace it if it were mine.

On the bright side, it looks like it'll come out in a jiffy and be real easy to remove!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am certainly no expert by any stretch or measurement, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night either. But what it really looks like to me is the boat originally had a wooden transom covered both sides with polyester (or epoxy...?) and fiberglass. And some time after it was built, somebody made the decision it needed to be thicker to support the hull better and installed the second section as well. Because it looks like two separate sections and looks like an after thought process effort. Obviously both sections are now rotted and will have to be replaced. But the new transom will be so strong that one thicker section will suffice and be solid as a rock. I just finished changing mine and the before and after is night and day. I never thought a transom could be so rock solid... JMHO!

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, it sounds like replacement is the preferred option?

Is there any merit to attempting to treat the existing wood with an epoxy sealer and fabricating a better top cap to seal the water out? Or should I go straight for the replacement? I am concerned about getting the old wood out. I'm not sure where I would begin with this one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Options: If you drill core samples from the inside using a 1/4" drill bit and drill in various places on the transom about 1" deep and you get all Light colored Dry Shaving then you might consider using epoxy, and pouring it into the top section and then C-clamping it well to try and squeeze the laminations back in place. All of this is dependent upon the wood being dry.

Cutting the inside skin and removing the wood core is NOT that big a deal. It's done hundreds of times here on the forum and we'll be able to walk you thru the process with no problem. That IS the optimum repair. The core samples will tell you a lot. IF they are all dry then the first option might be ok for a while. Just putting it out there for consideration.

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll need to do some drilling and report back.

Is there a recommended product for the epoxy that is poured in the top?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
U S Composites 635 3-1 Mix. Set the resin in the warm sunshine to lower the viscosity then add the hardener. You'll have about an hour before it starts to gel. Some people thin it with acetone but I'm not a proponent of doing that. Research proves it breaks down the overall properties of the epoxy and it doesn't perform as it was designed to. If it's warm and a warm day, it'll flow down into the crevices where you need it. Slow and easy is the way to go.

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys, it's been a long time since i've posted on this subject. During the summer, I bought a second boat and that one consumed a lot of my time. It's a completely different design (cuddy cabin with 5.7L V8). That being said, I have not given up on this project. I've been thinking about tackling the transom replacement, and perhaps over the winter months.

I'm not sure where to begin exactly on this project. I recently acquired the following tool, which I think will come in handy:

31njTkOETpL._SX300_.jpg

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I am certainly no expert by any stretch or measurement, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night either. But what it really looks like to me is the boat originally had a wooden transom covered both sides with polyester (or epoxy...?) and fiberglass. And some time after it was built, somebody made the decision it needed to be thicker to support the hull better and installed the second section as well. Because it looks like two separate sections and looks like an after thought process effort. Obviously both sections are now rotted and will have to be replaced. But the new transom will be so strong that one thicker section will suffice and be solid as a rock. I just finished changing mine and the before and after is night and day. I never thought a transom could be so rock solid... JMHO!

I had the same thoughts when I looked at the pictures. A second sheet of ply was added and glassed to beef up the transom. What is with the Holiday Inn thing with you and WoG?! Do your wives know what the heck you guys are doing there? :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had the same thoughts when I looked at the pictures. A second sheet of ply was added and glassed to beef up the transom. What is with the Holiday Inn thing with you and WoG?! Do your wives know what the heck you guys are doing there? :D

DeepBlue, the Holiday Inn thingy is from the commercials by the same. Haven't you seen them? The person is usually doing or answering about things that he has no personal education on. But he replies, "I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night", like that gives him the mindset to know such things! :smile: