Re-redoing the Ugly Duck, my 18ft aluminum Sylvan

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Yup, that's the stuff. Their website says it sticks to wood also. They're local to me so I was thinking I'd stop in and talk with them before going forward with it, just hoping for some insight from you guys, or other better ideas.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Finally got some time to get to the boat. I used 1/8" aluminum strips across the ribs and will rivet the plywood down. I tried screwing through the strips but the rivets seem to hold better.

Do you guys have any advice about how to cover the seams between plywood sheets on the deck? Right now the plywood has 3-4 coats of spar varnish. I was going to fill the gap with construction adhesive and varnish over but got to thinking maybe some drywall tape over a wet coat of varnish followed by a couple top coats of varnish. Does that make any sense?

I still haven't decided how to finish the consoles. My main fear with paint is that I'll be dealing with a peeling mess in a couple of years. Any other thoughts? Somebody mentioned Plasti Dip. It holds up on wheels and worst case scenario you peel it off and start over.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Also, way back I remember EZ used 3m 5200 instead of screws to attach his deck to the ribs/stringers. What would you guys think about 5200 on the ribs that have more holes in them and screw to every other rib?

Nope. I used deck screws. I did put down a bead of some sort of construction adhesive first. Not sure if that accomplished anything or not. The screws worked fine on both my restores and none backed out. However, in spots where the deck boards might not have laid down completely flat, the screws didn't do much to pull it tight. Rivets would work way better in that situation.

For the seams, I bought some cheap fiberglass cloth at home depot, cut it into strips and laid it over the seams and hit it with more of the same epoxy I used to seal the deck. With you having used spar, I'm not sure that would work. If poly resin sticks to Spar varnish, you could prolly pick up the same cloth I did and some of the poly Elmer's resin or whatever they have at Lowes/Home Depot and do the same thing.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Thanks for posting, your work on the Starcraft was the reason I got started on this last summer, just got too busy to finish. I want to put a bench across the back that folds flat to a casting deck which somehow resulted in me taking the whole thing apart, removing all the carpet and starting from scratch. I decided to add a livewell to which has been interesting. I have 2 more days to work on it before putting it away for the winter so I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Looking at this thread makes me a bit sad as I'm still not done, but I have been making slow and steady progress!

It's been so long since I started that I've forgotten how to put some things together so I hope you guys don't mind throwing a little help my way! The biggest being how to re rivet the gunnels as one side is coming undone.

I'll post some pics of the gunnels and my progress here soon as I'm hoping to hit it hard this coming weekend.

Thanks
Sub

sublauxation

Lieutenant
No Title

Removed most of the carpet and put the kid to work!

Attachments

• photo268730.jpg
    photo268730.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0

sublauxation

Lieutenant
No Title

Here's the original outside and a some more progress on the inside. Whatever glue we used on the gunnels was good stuff, it was a serious PITA to get off!

Attachments

• photo268731.jpg
    photo268731.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sub, ya can post more then 1 pix per post....

Nice bare canvas.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Yeah, I'm trying but it doesn't seem to let me for some reason and it's taking just shy of forever to get even one up because it keeps saying an error occurred. That or I get a tan box that says "working...." that wont go away. Basically everything I do on here moves incredibly slowly, even viewing threads.

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
No Title

Here's where we left off tonight. Front deck is on, I used 3/16 rivets for everything and it's all really solid. Screws weren't pulling things together very tight but the rivets did.

You can see one of the consoles are in back. Unless somebody has a better idea I think I'm going to use Interlux on them and hope it holds up. I was going to put them in place for the pic but some weird troll popped it's head up from the front storage compartment.

I tried linking pics from photobucket but that doesn't seem to work well either.

Attachments

• photo268748.jpg
    photo268748.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0