1997 Bayliner Capri 1750LS Help with Gelcoat, Paint, Wrap... or whatever it is!

Gel Coat Repair 1997 Bayliner Capri 1750 (with pics)

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1750 and it has some gel coat blemishes. I bought it used last spring and I am finally going to tackle this project. I believe the previous owner took off the Bayliner decals and in doing so peeled the gel coat with it. I have been doing some research on repairs and before I make my first move I want to get some opinions from ye ole salts!

I included some pictures. There is also a repair that I need to do near the swim platform and some hairline cracking which I also included. I have been reading about gel coat patch paste and just gel coat. Trying to get an idea if I need one over the other or both... I will need to color match as well. Other than the cosmetic defects she has been running great thanks to the insight from you guys last year!

Thanks!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, pic #1, the blue, is not gel coat. it's paint. All the rest are gel coat. Pic #2 can prolly be sanded and buffed out. Pic #3 will need to be patched. I'd use an Awl to dig out the scratch a bit bigger and then mix the Gel Paste to match as best you can and clean well with acetone and then apply the paste. Sand and Buff and Polish. Pretty basic stuff. Same with all the little gouges. Sand em out, build it back up with the pase then sand, buff and polish.

Thanks for the reply! Pic #1 you mentioned it is paint... It seems thicker than a paint... I am wondering if it is some type of vinyl sticker that Bayliner wrapped around the boat. I inquired with Bayliner and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Hello all,

My wife and I own a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1750LS that we bought last March. We have done a lot to restore her back to life. My next project is more cosmetic.

The blue stripe that wraps around the boat giving it the blue color scheme was damaged by the previous owner as well. I contacted Bayliner and they have given me different gel-coat colors (have been no help) and I am not even sure if it is gel-coat. Another forum a guy said it is paint, Bayliner said it is not paint because the friction with the water would wear it off. I asked a guy at my marina yesterday and when he looked and touched it he said it is a sticker or wrap. I have a feeling it is a sticker or wrap too because the surface it is sticking to is very smooth, it is thin, and it is peeling off like a sticker or wrap. I can also see the residue from the old Bayliner decals that the previous owner peeled off... making me think it is a factory sticker or wrap. I have been doing a ton of research with no luck.

I have attached a couple of photos to hopefully help.

Hull ID Number: BIYH86CUD797

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219944.JPG
    photo219944.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220038.JPG
    photo220038.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220039.JPG
    photo220039.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 0
Bayliner got back to me and said it is not paint it is gel-coat. I asked a guy at my marina yesterday and when he touched and looked at it he said it is a sticker. I can see the residue from where the old Bayliner decals used to be so I am thinking this sticker or wrap (if that is truly what it is) is factory. Ugh Frustrating!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well it's pretty simple... You have seen vinyl stickers before.... They are soft and flexible tho they can get brittle with time.... Paint is hard and chips off.... Gel coat doesn't 'peel off' it is part of the boat.... It is (not exactly but) basically the same resin the boat is made from but has color.

If you can peel it off and especially if the back is sticky it is vinyl and the only real repair is to remove all of it and start over.... Otherwise cover the damaged spots with another sticker or an accessory as cleanly as you can.