1992 Crownline 196br stringers, transom and the whole bit

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Why isn't there more pics???:noidea:Come on big guy, we need to see pics.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, no new pics. Been toooo busy. Getting it done tho. I'll take some pictures tomorrow evening. I should have the rest of the fiberglassing done with the exception of the engine compartment. I'm waiting to test fit the engine to glass that part. I need to know if I need to trim some of the motor mount down or if I need to add glass and call it good. :)

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having bit of an issue, I can't find a bolt that I need for my transom plate. I still have the old ones but they are pretty rotted and want to replace them. Can anyone help me identify them? I looked through all the parts books and it's just not there. I do however see it on the alpha one gen one parts page. I wonder if they are interchangeable.

Here is what they look like.

This is for an alpha one gen 2.

Last edited:

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The hurricane weather really slowed my progress down. However, I now have the two layers of glass on my stringers and bulkheads. All I have left is the engine compartment and putting a cap on the stringers. I have a video of what it looks like but it is uploading. So here is a picture

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it is raining yet again. So this will give me the opportunity to keep working on my seats now that I have my pedestals I ordered. Those were an amazing deal.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yayyyyyy, the rain stopped for today and I was able to work on the boat a bit today.
I got the gimbal housing and transom plate mounted, it fit like a glove!! The bolt holes were perfect thanks to the drill attachment. I also got to test fit the engine. I started using the electric winch that I mentioned in my earlier posts and realized that lifting the engine 6ft from the ground is much different then lifting it 3ft out of the boat and setting it on the ground, so I gave up on the winch idea and bit the bullet to buy a 2 ton chain fall. I love this thing. I got it from northern tool for 100 dollars. But worth the money for the extra safety features. Here are some pictures.

And here is my alignment tool. I still need to trim a bit off the motor mount so I can put my glass on the mounts. I'm thinking I'm about half inch away from where my wood needs to be, then I'll add my 3 to 4 layers of 1708.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having bit of an issue, I can't find a bolt that I need for my transom plate. I still have the old ones but they are pretty rotted and want to replace them. Can anyone help me identify them? I looked through all the parts books and it's just not there. I do however see it on the alpha one gen one parts page. I wonder if they are interchangeable. [url]http://s1277.photobucket.com/u...shot_2015-10-10-10-30-12_zpsdsxe8pwz.jpg.html
Screenshot_2015-10-10-10-30-12_zpsdsxe8pwz.jpg
[/URL]

Here is what they look like. [url]http://s1277.photobucket.com/u... project/20151010_102335_zpsq0nepq14.jpg.html
20151010_102335_zpsq0nepq14.jpg
[/URL]

This is for an alpha one gen 2.

Hey Steely,
The bolts your asking about are size 7/16 - 14 x 4-1/2"L. I got a box of 5 grade 8 for $10.48 from McMaster. The two upper shorter bolts are same size thread but 2" long. I probably have extras I could send you, I'll likely never use them.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oops I didn't see your latest post, looks like you got it figured out lol.

Ya, I did get it figured out. Thanks for the offer tho. I wish I could go to sleep right now so I can hurry up and wake up. It will be an amazing feeling when my engine is aligned. If I can get that done tomorrow, I might be able to glass the engine compartment, cap the stringers, put the floor on, then next weekend get the boat painted a burnt or sunburst orange.

Just curious what you decided to do about your seat boxes in the bow. I have the same condition and was considering going back with wood also. Hope all is well.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone. I have been MIA for a while. I did not work on the boat last year at all. As you can see in my posts I had to work on it outside at our rental house so I wasn't able to do anything with it in the winter. So I built a cradle for it to put it in a friend's garage to try to work on it through last winter.

Well lots of things have changed for me and my new family. Last winter we spent a few months and bought my wife a jeep, we learned we were pregnant so se started looking for a house to buy. A few months later we bought a house in the mountains about 20 minutes closer to the lake so we can enjoy our boat when it is done. The house is awesome, it has an oversized 2 car garage so I can fit my workbenches and all my supplies along with the boat inside the garage. I purchased some LARGE 220v heaters for the garage so I could add some dry heat to keep it between 65 and 70 degrees while I work out there the rest of winter and spring. I rebuilt most of the boat trailer, such as new tires, rims, paint job, brake actuator, brake lines. New brakes and bearings will go on this spring. I also sold my diesel to get a gas truck since i wont be needing all the extra power to get over the mountain. The truck had a bad trsnsmission thst i was told about but the guy gave me a good deal on the truck. So i took on the task of rebuilding the transmission myself and it works great!!! Its a gmc suerra towmax with a 6 liter in it. I will attach all my pictures and pictures of where i am wuth the boat when I get to work. I am just excited to be back on the horse and on the final stretch.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the cradle i made for the boat since the trailer would not fit in my friends garage.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We bought a house with a nice 2 car garage.

the boat and trailer fit nicely inside if it is at an angle.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the truck I bought to tow with and the transmission torn apart on my workbench.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, Ok... enough of my life story, its time to get back to the boat build.

Here is the floor once I poured foam underneath.

Here I have the gas tank area gel coated.

You can see bolts sticking up from where I will be mounting the captains chairs. I'll seal the threads up good with 5200.
I reinstalled the engine and replaced all the plugs in the floor with reinforce resin.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok... So this was all done at the old rental house we lived at. here is the new setup and updates with the new house.

Here is my new workstation. you can see the table saw to the left and all the wood for framing on the shelf along with the new carpet on the self to the right.

Working in the garage.

I cut down the engine hoist so it would fit inside the garage so I could lift the engine slightly to get to things easier now and then. Such as when I want to mount the depth finder and bilge pump.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome looking place you all bought. It's always nice to have garage space to work on your boat. And a pool to cool off in the sumer that's awesome.

Good looking tow rig you got as well. I've worked on allot of car and truck repairs, but rebuilding an automatic transmission isn't one I've tackled yet. It is on my to do list though.

The boat is looking good as well. Nice progress and nice update. Glad to see you're back at it. :encouragement:

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the floor where it sits since yesterday. I sanded all the resin down flush with the floor so I could see where all the low spots were. I will be filling these in this week, along with making the outer lip of the floor smooth so the fiberglass can transition easier to the walls.