Transom Wood ?

JCDSparky69

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to replace the old rotten plywood transom in my '68 Starcraft Holiday v and there is no chance of getting any marine grade plywood near me nor do I have the $$$ for it. What alternate wood would be the best choice for this seeing it is a Tinny project so I know I shouldn't use pressure treated wood on it
thank you All

Tnstratofam

Commander
I used exterior grade plywood coated with spar varnish for my transom replacement, and it is holding up nicely. I put three coats of spar varnish on both sides coating the edges with every coat. That made three coats for each side with 6 coats on the edges. I used 3/4 inch plywood gluing 2 pieces together using Tightbond III waterproof wood glue to get my transom thickness right.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I used G1S (good 1 side) exterior grade fir plywood. I used 1 sheet 3/4" and 1 sheet of 5/8", laminated together with Gorilla glue and SS wood screwed together on a dead flat surface, then covered all sides and edges with Formica countertop laminate using contact cement, before sliding it into place. All mounting screw points thoroughly sealed. Seems super strong, especially with the outer hard shell of Formica and a 2"x4"x1/4" aluminum channel through-bolted from one side to the other (from a previous stop-gap transom repair).
- Grandad

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's another method you might consider...
Sealer.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Woodonglass Would you still seal it like that if you are coating it in fiberglass?

No need. The resin and glass will encapsulated the wood and seal it from moisture. On a "Tin" boat the wood is not encapsulated in glass so the wood needs to be sealed "Chemically" or as I stated by using Epoxy which IS the #1 best method but also the most expensive. What I posted is just an alternative method that's been used for years to seal wood for exterior use. It works very well especially if the edges are allowed to soak well and then sealed with full strength varnish coats.

JCDSparky69

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks All for the replies. I was definitely thinking some good Exterior ply but was gonna use the West System Clear Epoxy for the Bonding of the two sections required for the transom and the exterior jack plate. I did replace a lot of the wood a few years ago but I used cabinet grade Birch plywood and 6 coats of Helsman poly with Uv in it , and it barely made it through the first winter storage ( yes completely covered ) But it looked freaking AWESOME . SO i am definattely tired of uncovering it only to see I have weeks of repair work to do every other year.
So please let me know what you all think about the combination of the exterior ply and using the West System clear Epoxy to bond and coat the plywood before installation
Thank You all and safe Boating this yr

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Another thing you need to take note of...Any time you attach something to the transom you should always predrill and then coat the hardware and the openings with a good quality marine sealant. We like 3M's 4200 here on the forum. It's 100% waterproof and does a great job. When using bolts, I like to coat the holes with 5 minute epoxy and let them dry and then coat the bolts with the 4200. When using screws I just use the 4200. If you do this and keep the boat covered when not in use, then your Ext. Grade Plywood transom should last a good long time. It's all about Care & Maintenance!!!:thumb: