A Hello and My Project Boat

acvff334

Cadet
Hello all, I am new to the site and new to the boating world. I recently traded my motorcycle for a 1973 Strahm tri-hull. Was told it was in decent shape but after moving a few things to modify to my liking I found more to be wrong. So it's looking like a complete restoration over a long period of time as finances allow. Here are a few pictures of the boat and the findings and the current progress. Any info or suggestions welcome as I said before completely new to it all.

Attachments

• Port.jpg
    Port.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Stern.jpg
    Stern.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Interior Look From Stern.jpg
    Interior Look From Stern.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Starboard.jpg
    Starboard.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Messed Up Transom.jpg
    Messed Up Transom.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Interior Bow.jpg
    Interior Bow.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Interior.jpg
    Port Interior.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Transducer Mount Holes.jpg
    Transducer Mount Holes.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • Live Well or Cooler.jpg
    Live Well or Cooler.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Side Stern.jpg
    Port Side Stern.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pilot's Chair.jpg
    Pilot's Chair.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Starboard Side Stern.jpg
    Starboard Side Stern.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Progress.jpg
    Progress.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Center Stern Fishing Chair.jpg
    Center Stern Fishing Chair.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Under Interior Bow.jpg
    Under Interior Bow.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Under Pilot's Chair.jpg
    Under Pilot's Chair.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Under Pilot's Chair(2).jpg
    Under Pilot's Chair(2).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Under Interior Bow(2).jpg
    Under Interior Bow(2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Acquired Assistance.jpg
    Acquired Assistance.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Under Interior Bow(3).jpg
    Under Interior Bow(3).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0

johnnybgood

Seaman
Welcome I am relatively new to this forum and have been redoing a boat also. You will find a lot of guys on here with experience and helpful advice, ggod luck in your rebuild

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard acvff334 !
Yep you have a full blown restoration on your hands for sure .. Plenty of good info and help here to make her brand new again !
Here is a thread with an Ouchita that looks very similar to your boat ... You may find it helpful ..
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-1974-ouachita-tri-hull-bass-boat-restoration
Before you get to heavy into the tear out make sure you have the hull well supported with a few extra bunk boards under it . you don't want it to flex out of shape ..
Good luck and let us know how we can help ! :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard acvff334, you picked the best place on the net for your project boat rehab.

I have to agree with sphelps about a total rebuild effort, but with the vast amount of quality projects that are on these forums, you will get the best info and advice you could need. I suggest you read some of the rebuild efforts on these forums and see what is in for your project. A very good place to start is with friscoboater great boat project and videos. Research Woodonglass excellent threads as well. He has tomes of useful ideas and knowledge for glass hulled boats. And read the how to's topic on the top of these forums for quick start ideas. Here is friscoboater's link.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...nature-deck-and-stringer-restoration?t=510077

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Welcome Aboard !!!! I am in the same "boat," so to speak. I am relatively new to iboats.com and boating in general.
I have a 1979 Terry that I am completely going through.
I think I will tag along here, goo luck and ask questions, you will get help !!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looks like it should be a fun project and you already have an assistant! Take your time and be patient as this can be a very good learning experience for the young man and yourself.

acvff334

Cadet
Thanks everybody. sphelps Thanks for the advice about more support and the other restore boat, I'll check it out. gm280 0 Thank you for the suggestions also. I had found friscoboater youtube channel and had been checking it out for a while now. That's what led me here. I also stumbled across jmink youtube channel as well. bonz_d The fun trick is keeping him entertained long enough for him to stick around. IUPapabear This will be a long drawn out process due to my financial constraints. I may become a month or two between my posts, but by all means tag along. Have a great day all and thanks again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
acvff334, I think we all understand budget constrains. Everyone of us has gone through that same process of progress and then wait for more money or time between our postings. If you really look, most projects take a year or more to accomplish. I know I had great expatiations of getting my little old boat project finished in about a month or two. That was over two years ago and I'm just now starting to see a possible finish line...maybe? So we know what you're saying.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard!:welcome: Just about to wrap up my 1974 Cobalt tri hull interior rebuild... Whew! It's a lot of work for sure, but doing the work yourself is going to save you big bucks, and you and your son will really be able to appreciate your project and memories! It seems that it takes more time than money, so by the time you finish one part of the job, you have enough money to start another! :crazy: Have a blast!

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Projects like this often take time and usually substantially longer than expected. I have had b my project a year last December. I didn't actually start on it until the spring. Work, injury, family and the ever present, money constraints always play a roll in anything like this.
At the very beginning I thought it wouldn't take but a few months to get wet. When I finally dug into I found a complete overhaul was needed. The only thing original in mine will be the fiberglass of the hull and parts of the cap. Everything else will be new or reworked, including the cap.
I am now looking at 2-3 years. If I have a good year I may, May be on the water late summer 2016, but more than likely spring of 2017. He'll if I really play my cards I could slash it in 2019 on its 40th birthday. LOL !!!
Oh, and there will be times when you want to trash it. Fight through it and/or come here and get inspired !!! Lots of great boats, and even better people !!!!

acvff334

Cadet
IUPapabear Mine is going to be the same I fear. Was actually hoping to use it this summer but then I found the project part of it and it set in my back yard since Oct. 2014 and I almost gave it away. I held on to it and started researching youtube and found friscoboater channel and watched all the Sea Ray restore videos and that is what gave me the inspiration to get started. And like bonz_d said the memories of the boy and I building her together will be an experience and something we can be proud of. Plus doing it right will allow him to have a good first boat when the time comes.

acvff334

Cadet
I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to be just got to get it there. I also forgot to mention, I purchased a 1966 Evinrude Sportfour 60hp for $175 and all that it needs is one of the heads replaced due to a stripped out spark plug port. Got the new OME head and gasket off of eBay for $55. That will probably be the easiest fix of the project.:)

acvff334

Cadet
Here are a few closer pictures of what the POs did to this thing. The channel iron gave me a laugh.:laugh:

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • Interior of Transom.jpg
    Interior of Transom.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Exterior of Transom.jpg
    Exterior of Transom.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, That's a Dead Giveaway that a Transom needs to be replaced! The good news is...Demo work is FREE!!!!!!:D

acvff334

Cadet
Anybody have a suggestion on an easy way to support this thing on the trailer? Really can't afford to build a cradle unless it can be done with just a few 2x's.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking back at your pics maybe just add some 2x's on each side of the center rollers . Wedge or fasten them in place the best ya can as flat on the hull as you can ... Just snug em up so when all the deck and stringers come out its keeps it original shape ...

acvff334

Cadet
Just a little update... Built a outboard motor stand as seen here on a fourm. Thanks to whom ever posted the build (can't remember now who it was). Did get my motor mounted to it and plan on tearing into it slowly. That I can do inside been alot of rain here so haven't been able to do much to the boat. Hoping for a better week this week and hope to get the floor out and cap and hull separated.