Mores Law & I/O boats

putback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"If more is good than to much should be just right". I have little 16 ft '86 glass starcraft i/o 3.0 alpha 1. Bad engine & rotten wood. Probably not worth messing with. I just like the looks of the hull, nice lines and the glass hull is in good shape. I have a take it away offer on mid '80s 20ft mercruiser, small block chevy V8 glass boat with a stoved in bow. Now just for fun If, big if the V8 drive train checks out what would happen if i tried to mount it in that little 16 footer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
It''d probably be low at the transom from the weight increase and there'd be at least 1 here hold my beer redneck moment :)

Really, I have no idea, what's the weight difference between the v8 and 3.0L?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 16 feet ain't much boat for a SBC,....

We pulled a 3.0l/ MC-1 package out of a 19' Slickcraft, 195SS, 'n dropped in a 350, 4bbl./ Alpha package,.....

It's a pretty good Rush to play with,....

zool

Captain
Not too much weight difference, aside from the extra manifold...which may be 70lbs...so I don't think it would turtle under, but it will be faster, use more gas than the current tank offers, sit a little more proud in the bow...I believe the old Donzi 16's had small block fords, back in the 60's, may need a motor mount reconfiguration, some weight distribution

putback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
An all cast dressed chev 350 car eng weighs 550ish. best I can find on the 3.0 L4 marine is 475. I expect this free donor is a 305. Looking at other S C s of the era the 18 & 20 footers with V engines have the same engine bay. L4s mount to the center pad, Vs mount to the side boxes. Transom thickness looks the same but would be determined by the outdrive. It looks like it would fit w/o much trouble. I'm guessing the 16 ft hull design was'nt intended for that much HP, torque or speed. My real concern is safety. Fun is all fine as long as its safe, What do you think? And yup I took the test, I be a redneck;).