1998 Bayliner Capri Restoration

I just bought a 1998 Bayliner Capri 1800. I knew it was going to need work when I bought it, but wasnt really sure what I was getting into. I need to remove all the carpet to see where all the wood beneath has dry rotted. The wooden floor hatch and the surrounding wood has dry rotted completely. I know there are hundreds of posts about what kind of wood to use, but I really dont know anything about redoing these floors. I am in the middle of the desert in AZ and am not sure where to acquire large sheets of Marine Plywood. Home Depot/Lowes seems to only sell 2'x4's. I was thinking of using non treated plywood, but wonder the pros and cons and directions on how to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. I have attached some pics of the boat.

Attachments

• 20150416_084914_zpsa1a8tgqh.jpg
    20150416_084914_zpsa1a8tgqh.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150416_084957_zpsg8hkpunu.jpg
    20150416_084957_zpsg8hkpunu.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150416_085037_zpsak9r33zu.jpg
    20150416_085037_zpsak9r33zu.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
I just bought a 1998 Bayliner Capri 1800. I knew it was going to need work when I bought it, but wasnt really sure what I was getting into. I need to remove all the carpet to see where all the wood beneath has dry rotted. The wooden floor hatch and the surrounding wood has dry rotted completely. I know there are hundreds of posts about what kind of wood to use, but I really dont know anything about redoing these floors. I am in the middle of the desert in AZ and am not sure where to acquire large sheets of Marine Plywood. Home Depot/Lowes seems to only sell 2'x4's. I was thinking of using non treated plywood, but wonder the pros and cons and directions on how to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. I have attached some pics of the boat.

fetch

Don't bother with the expense of marine plywood (grade A/B), get exterior grade B/C and coat it with resin and Chopped Strand Mat (CSM). Don't get B/C grade mixed up with CDX. Things like hatch covers you could use a good epoxy paint like Sherman Williams Micropoxy.

+1 with AllDodge. That said, your first mistake was "I just bought"...sorry...been there, done that and learned not to. I can say, be careful of your costs cuz it can get real expensive real quick. The materials ain't cheap and can add up. Make a list and you can probably double that cost and go from there. As your tear things apart you are going to find you need to do more than you planned. BTW...if the floors and such are rotted there is a good chance the transom is shot as well or close. I can almost guarantee the stringers are rotted. Then again maybe you got lucky. On the other side of things, it's a lot of fun (and work) to rebuild a boat. Best of luck and keep us informed!

Thanks alot for the response guys. I will keep this thread informed of updates. Currently in the process of ordering items for repairs. idonthaveaname, I hope the transom and stringers aren't shot.

Thanks alot for the response guys. I will keep this thread informed of updates. Currently in the process of ordering items for repairs. idonthaveaname, I hope the transom and stringers aren't shot.

You will know soon enough :facepalm:

US Composites is a good source for material

boat%20floor_zps9yuejnse.jpg Alright so I was finally able to start ripping into the floor. I started right in the middle where I could easily see that the floor was starting to rot. I was looking for the Stringers, thinking they would be wood, but all I can see are what looks to me like 2 pieces of raised fiberglass to act as the stringers. Is there a such thing as fiberglass stringers. I didnt see any screws, nails or staples going into the ground at all, so not sure how everything was attached, besides with some type of adhesive. Also found out that the rear bench is part of the boat, so it doesnt come out. Which is going to cause an issue getting most of everything out. There was also a coating on top of the wood that was already in the floor, not sure if it is some coat/form of adhesive or a large fiberglass sheet (its being a pain in the ass to get out.) My one final question for now, is it ok to rip into the foam in the flooring, as long as I refill it when getting ready to reassemble the boat. Many more questions but this is where I stand right now. Still much to do.