add drain tube/plug to a thin boat, like a canoe

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
I would like to add a drain tube to a plastic canoe which is probably less than 1/4 thick walls.

what would be a good way to do this, currently my thought is to buy a brass drain tube which is 1 7/8 and add a piece of wood for thickness, and just glue it all in there.

for the record the boat is a coleman crawdad, canoe like materials

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd use a threaded piece of PVC and drill the appropriate sized hole and cut it the length. Then use 3M 5200 to glue it in place. You can Use a threaded cap on the inside to seal it off

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would just install a thru the hull fitting and use a standard drain plug in it. Cut the barb fitting off and use 5200 to seal it up. Done in 10 min. Yeah they all say not for below waterline use but that's a blanket CYA statement for those who would mount them on the bottom of the hull and knock them off on a rock. In that case you would want a SS model if you plan on shooting rapids and have it mounted on the very bottom of the canoe. Even then the lightweight of a canoe wouldn't smash it off there like a heavy boat would.

http://www.iboats.com/Thru-Hull-Con...2137691--session_id.442548043--view_id.191658

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd use an ole cut down milk jug as a bailin' bucket, rather than potentially ruinin' that hull,....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, here's a pic of a 12' Coleman Crawdad with a Factory drain... Just not sure how you'd gain access to install it. Aren't these boats two piece construction and foam filled? And I don't think they're made from fiberglass. I think they're constructed from a special blend of Polyethyelene plastic and it takes some specialized epoxy to stick to it. It's been discussed here on the forum but I can't recall exactly what it is. I think maybe it's called G-Flex or something like that.
attachment.php

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not even sure that 5200 would stick to a poly canoe

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ayuh,..... I'd use an ole cut down milk jug as a bailin' bucket, rather than potentially ruinin' that hull,....

This gets my vote. Or as a less viable choice, put a small bilge pump in the lowest spot and hang the hose over the side.