repairing my transom on my old sears runabout boat

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
im replacing my transom on my boat and I messed a little piece of the back when trying to remove the wood and im wandering what would be the best way to go about fixing it ill post some pictures
thanks
cr

Attachments

• photo219100.jpg
    photo219100.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well that looks like the outer skin on the transom and it is cracked because you tried to separate the wood from the skin using some sort of prying effort. And the wood won that one. However, remove the wood by grinding and such and you will deal with that crack when replacing the transom back again. Ground the outer skin so you can use polyester resin and cloth to repair it. but after the wood transom is replaced first. When installing the actual transom wood covered in polyester and CSM as you can see and read about with so many others in these forums, use a piece of plywood to clamp on the outside of the transom to make certain the new wood being installed it totally flat again. Then after that cures, you can work the outside. This is just my opinion and other will chime in with their ideas...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
RileyChad I noticed you have several threads started about your boat. It's usually a good idea to keep all of your posts in one thread. That way the members can follow along on everything your doing and asking about your project. Once you get the wood transom out you'll need to grind the back of the skin down to good fresh glass and get it smooth. Then you'll use a couple of layers of 1.5 oz CSM to patch the crack. We go over the details when the time comes. If you're having problems getting the wood to come out, use your circular saw and set it to a depth just shy of the thickness of the wood and cut a 1-2" grid pattern in the transom and then use a chisel to chisel it off. You'll be amazed at how easy it'll knock off .