Changing Dog House to Deck

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 73 Silverline with a 165 hp Mercruiser. The stern has a dog house with a jump seat on either side. I am considering changing the configuration to eliminate the jump seats and putting a full engine cover across the stern to use as a lounge deck. Any advice on how to build this and any photos that show the finished product would be appreciated.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
please post some pix so we can see what you are dealing with??

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah pics will help. How low in the boat does the top come to? I ended building a seat to go on top of mine the some rednecking up a backrest mount. 85% happy with it ill dig up mynpics

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks but nothing like mine. All I see are page after page of the pic of your boat and truck. LOL!

yeah reminds me I got a new truck need to get a pic of the new combo...

So what you can do is use wood strips on the doghouse and the 'glass side of the boat and manufacture flat cushions to put up there matching the level of the existing doghouse. Leave open underneath for coolers. Mine isn't tall enough for coolers I wish it were. I've thought about making customer coolers to fit under mine. You could even jjust cut down the seat bases equal tot he thickness of the new inserts and still have seats under there. That way when you need the seating, just pull off the new sundeck parts, stow, and you have the two seats avail.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah reminds me I got a new truck need to get a pic of the new combo...

So what you can do is use wood strips on the doghouse and the 'glass side of the boat and manufacture flat cushions to put up there matching the level of the existing doghouse. Leave open underneath for coolers. Mine isn't tall enough for coolers I wish it were. I've thought about making customer coolers to fit under mine. You could even jjust cut down the seat bases equal tot he thickness of the new inserts and still have seats under there. That way when you need the seating, just pull off the new sundeck parts, stow, and you have the two seats avail.

My boat's factory configuration was the set up Joe just described with the addition of a second set of wood strips on each side about 10" lower so each cushion (each had a plywood base) could convert to a jump seat as well. The bulk head had a little section of bolster that served as a back rest to the seat but was hidden when the cushion was in the upper position to form the sun pad. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, all of the boat's interior was rotted when I got the boat due to neglect, I have rebuilt the dog house but have yet to rebuild these cushions. If the vinyl for the cushions is well matched to a cushion over the dog house it can look great as a sun pad (use of stripes can help hide the seams). I think you would be surprised at the amount of space you give up in the boat if you were to make this a permanent sun pad which is typically an upgrade every manufacturer, but the little difference in deck space make a huge difference.