paint hardener

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
was going to repaint my aluminum boat with rustoleum high gloss marine topside paint. used a foam roller last year with rustoleum semi gloss paint and it came out great. I want it a little more gloss. i read that you can add paint hardener. the question is, how much to add ? if I use (1) quart of paint, how much hardener should I use ? thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Directions are on the can, but typically it's 2 oz per quart. Understand you don't want to mix more than you will use in 8 hours cuz the paint goes bad after that once the hardener has been introduced. I usually mix 2 cups (1/2 quart) Thin it with 1/4 cup of a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Mineral spirits to make it flow better and then add 1 oz of Hardener. That way I don't have to worry about having wasted paint. Two cups will go a Long way especially if the boat's already got a good coat of paint on it. Check the link in my signature below.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Check the warning label on the can of hardener before you buy it, that's some pretty nasty stuff and you need a real good respirator if you're going to paint with it. You may not even want to use it after reading the label.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
JNG is absolutely correct about the hardener. But..If you use the proper respirator with the proper filters (3M 7500 series is what I use and change em frequently)and you're not in a totally enclosed area and totally fogged environment you won't have any issues using it. In other words, if you spray outside on a calm day, you'll be ok. Lot's of the members here on the forum have used it, including myself, with no negative results reported. If you're spraying you should take all the normal precautions and if rolling then you should have no issues. But, as JNG says, it is nasty stuff and should be respected.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally concur with WOG's assessment as well. I do some serious spray paints and I wear a 3m Vapor filter half face mask every time (with good goggles when grinding as well). But that is because I do so much spraying myself. However, the exact same mask I use can easily be purchased with new vapor filters for around $20 delivered. So if you are even a little worried, just buy a mask and then happy painting. I can tell you those vapor mask filters totally eliminate any fumes with paint OR polyester resin. I use them near daily when mixing poly and I can't smell any of those chemicals ever. The mask I use is the 3M 6700 series with fume and/or vapor filters. Not expensive in the least. Don't stop using quality produces because of such silly things. Those 3m Mask and filters last an amazingly long time if you're spraying inside and if outside and rolling such paint material you may not need anything That IS your call. JMHO!