Tinny Red Flags

Mattamiscontis

Recruit
Hi all. Long time lurker here. Great forum and lots of amazing restorations.
I am currently on the lookout for a tin boat but this would be my first experience owning a boat and doing a restoration. I am pretty handy, but know how much dedication and hard work this involves.
Considering that I am looking for an older boat, I realize that deck and transom replacement are pretty much a given. While there are no shortage of nice old glass boats out there, replacing stringers, grinding and such is not something I want to take on :)
So I have been patiently watching for an older Starcraft as I think it would be a good option for a first restoration.
I am going to look at one tomorrow. Looks like an old Holiday. From the pictures it looks like it will need a new deck and transom. After reviewing restorations here I am prepared for all it entails - gutting it, repairing or replacing rivets, applying Gluvit, new flotation, etc. and building it back up.
So my question is, as it relates to the hull itself, what are the red flags? I am patient and will walk away from something and wait for the next one. My main concern is that this boat was used in the salt. I will look for pitting and signs of corrosion. What else should I check for? The owner said he always washed it after, but I'm not taking his word for it. I have seen some stuff out there about aluminum boats being ruined.
At the end of the day I don't want to end up with something that can't be serviceable.
So I appeal to the seasoned tinny owners out there - what do you look for, what makes you walk away?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
1st is general impression, does it look like it was taken care and is just old or is it beat to death and neglected?
Look it over closely, look down all the seams and check for rivets that look lose or missing and also look closely in those area for stress cracks around the rivets or if the rivets look like someone tried to seal them with RTV. Big dents or a bottom that doesn't look flat. Turn the steering wheel, does it turn smoothly or is it sloppy or jerky. On an old boat look past the cosmetics like paint and seats.

Also look at the trailer. Same applies. does it look taken care of or is it worn out and beat up and rusted.

BTW, Welcome aboard. Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Knowing what I know now, Since it was salt water used, is it on bunks or rollers? If carpeted bunks, you will want to check how the hull looks that sits on the bunks.'

Seems like you know what to look for though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would think that any boat that was used in salt water that wasn't washed down after each outing would be pretty obvious. Not so much the larger hull sections. but the little corner areas and seams and such. Those are the things to look for. Anybody can keep the larger areas looking good with a little effort. but it is the little things that will show up if searched for. So just use your thinking cap and look for those type things and evaluate them when looking...

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: As mentioned above, pay particular attention to the transom as well as the hull where it rests on the trailer. If there is or was a transom motor pad attached to the outside at some point, this area can corrode due to the board trapping salt. The same is true of bunks on a trailer. Watch for any wood that has been replaced with pressure treated wood as this is a big no no on a tin boat. If it's accessible try to look at the kneebrace for the transom as this is an item that can crack due to flex over time from a rotted transom. Good luck, and post up some pics of anything you aren't sure about. We'll be glad to look them over and offer up advice.

Mattamiscontis

Recruit
Good stuff guys. I appreciate the help. From the pictures it does appear to be on bunks. Can't tell if they're carpeted or not. If they are I would think it could give me a good idea of how well the boat was rinsed after being in the salt. Salt waterlogged carpet would probably show some clear spots on the hull.
Also in the pictures it does appear that some rivets are missing on the underside. If this is the case is it a deal-breaker?
If I am able to see it I will try to take some pictures.

Mattamiscontis

Recruit
I also have to say, and I'm sure you all know what I mean, part of the fun is the hunt. Scouring craigslist, looking in people's backyards for a neglected old hull. Driving the wife crazy by stopping to look at an old boat on the side of the road.
If the hunt is this much fun, I can only imagine how much fun it is splashing a restored boat or showing people before and after photos.

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
for some the hunt and or the restoration is much better than using the finished product.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Missing rivets aren't necessarily a deal breaker as long as there is no apparent other damage. There were a few Missing in our SS, and a few screws put in place of rivets.:facepalm: She still floated. Of course that's all been fixed now.

Banks10

Cadet
Keep an eye out for signs of corrosion if it was.in salt.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome:to iboats and hopefully soon the Starmada!

Was waiting to see if you scored on the Holiday or if it was a bust? My Chief was salty so it's not a death nail and saltwater isn't caustic soda. ;)

Mattamiscontis

Recruit
Unfortunately the seller wasn't around this weekend. I will try to see it this week and will post pictures of anything that raises an eyebrow.