16' closed bow resto/ mod

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Yea... I got the bit on dale's flare tool, you guys just using copper tubing or what?
Tailor made tubes from where? Thanx me searching sux, but I keep trying!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I bought my metal tubes from a local boat repair place. They come with one side already flared, then you cut them using tubing cutters to about 1/4 inch longer than the thickness of your transom. Then using a flaring tool, or a home made flaring tool like I did, you flare the other side. I believe you can purchase either here on iboats if you can't buy them locally. I believe the metal ones come in 3 inch and 4 inch lengths.

Tnstratofam

Commander
If you do a search for " drain tubes " here on iboats in boat repair parts you will find several options.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Wish we had a boat shop' I live in winer country and all the marina's and small shops folded shop! Now I will go hunt the repair parts sec mentioned next!

clb

Seaman Apprentice
TnstratofM
Thanx for the info! Got some materials on order.
I apreciate all of the input guys!
Got the transom hung on the hoist, its arguing.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
So I just read a post stating how sad it is to see so many resto threads started and then die' is this section strictly for 10 pt. resto's???
I am doing this one as a fishing / utility workhorse, as such I dought it will see paint or polish!
As such should I delete it from this section?
I don't want to draw resources from the site.
Thanx cb

Tnstratofam

Commander
The cool thing about restoring any boat is you can put it back any way you like.Some people do a complete tear down and rebuild back to factory specs. Others do running rebuilds as they get money. All the while continuing to use their boats.You can do as much or as little as you like, and the people here will gladly tag along offering up advice when needed.This is the right place for questions on the hull, deck, and transom. Questions on the motor should be posted in the motor forum related to your motors manufacturer although if you ask a question here about your motor it will be okay.

I think that allot of people underestimate the time and money involved in restoring/repairing an old boat. Lots of people start resto projects on here and then the projects fall by the way side. Sometimes projects get put on hold due to life and or money issues. My Stratos rebuild is on hold right now for some of these reasons. Any way your posting in the right forum whether you do a complete rebuild or a simple redo that makes the boat more adaptable to your needs.

We all just like seeing them redone or re purposed. No matter if it's a concours correct rebuild or a restomod.

Last edited:

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Cool thanx
I have built a few things in my time, auto's ,motorcycles 4x4's... As a homebuilder by trade its allways the little things that stack up the hours!
I have the time so this is ok by me. I have the transome loose and on the hoist but its hung up on the good side 1/2 rotted out some effort will be required to get it to pop loose as the corrosion and time have glued it in there.

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Something to think about, I have an early 80's Sylvan with that same splashwell. When I replaced the transom I also removed the old splashwell, made a smaller one and put a flat deck across the back. It really opened up the boat and makes it feel a lot bigger.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Interesting idea!
Along that line of thought, the purpose of the sw, "as I understand it" is in an abrupt slow down to drain the following wake off the boat" ? yes?
The Secondary' is any fuel leaks would go out of the hull,did you do a low flat and then a 90*return up to the topside of the gunnell's?
Interesting idea.
Thanx cb

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Here's the thread from when I did mine, it looks like the picutres still open if you click on them. I put a flat deck across the top but I'm in the process of starting over. I'm raising the splashwell up to almost the top of the transom to make the deck higher so I can put a flip up bench seat in the middle. The bench will, hopefully, fold flat so I can still use it as a deck for standing/casting.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...0-s-sylvan-splashwell-removal-transom-rebuild

Overall the splashwell is there to keep you from sinking. Most newer boats don't have splashwells as tall as yours and what mine was and they dont' seem to regularly sink. I did weld on some new metal and changed the shape of the transom as you can see in the picks to at least somewhat decrease the water that comes over the back. I haven't had any problems but I am adding another 1000 gph bilge pump just in case. The key is to slow down carefully!

Tnstratofam

Commander
sublauxation I really like your splash well mod. That makes the rear deck so much more useable. It's true newer boats have allot more deck space due to the smaller splash well.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The splashwell also ties the back of the boat together and is a structural element.

If you make changes, make sure they are substantial enough to replace the structure you removed.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Thanx! Gunna go take a look!

Here's the thread from when I did mine, it looks like the picutres still open if you click on them. I put a flat deck across the top but I'm in the process of starting over. I'm raising the splashwell up to almost the top of the transom to make the deck higher so I can put a flip up bench seat in the middle. The bench will, hopefully, fold flat so I can still use it as a deck for standing/casting.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...0-s-sylvan-splashwell-removal-transom-rebuild

Overall the splashwell is there to keep you from sinking. Most newer boats don't have splashwells as tall as yours and what mine was and they dont' seem to regularly sink. I did weld on some new metal and changed the shape of the transom as you can see in the picks to at least somewhat decrease the water that comes over the back. I haven't had any problems but I am adding another 1000 gph bilge pump just in case. The key is to slow down carefully!

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Verry GOOD POINT!
having done my share of structural work after the earthquakes here' this is a very solid observation!
The splashwell also ties the back of the boat together and is a structural element.

If you make changes, make sure they are substantial enough to replace the structure you removed.

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Found the factory( haha) behind the kneebrace in the z bar!
Welllllll' once my ifail loads the pics.
I beleive that I may leave the sw alone and rebuild the sliding doors under it!
This way 2'6g tank's and a set of batteries should hide well in there.
Will see.

Last edited:

clb

Seaman Apprentice

shot was taken from outside ' behind the boat looking down between the sw and rear skin!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Still trying to identify the hull!
As the issued hin did not check out'''''
Ok dimensions as requested!

78" widest point of gunnels
38" from keelway to bow cap at top
30" from keelway to splashwell top( inside measurments from keelway
74" wide on top at splashwell!
Thanx gents'ladies!

From the 65 brochures. BTW - You do have a 1965. The 65 start to the S/N is the year. My 66 begins 66. I don't know how consistent that is across the range until HINs started in 1972. Looking at your stern, you have a V hull, as in Jupiter V. Check your measurements against these.
spec1.PNG
specs.PNG

clb

Seaman Apprentice
Thanx as soon as i get to a main frame I will look! I thought i read that the v had a double chine setup 2 per side???
Ps' how/where did you find this snippet?
Ive seen a similar one.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No - Those the V5 hulls. Much later than yours.

Look at the stickies in the Starcraft section for brochures.