Best All Around Rebuild Thread

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

My goal is to educate a friend in the fine art of boat restoration. If you had to pick the best all around thread to accomplish this what would it be? The boat for restoration consideration is a late 70's or early 80's 28' Bayliner Victoria. Transom and deck replacement would be useful with mention of foam replacement and subfloor glassing techniques, perhaps some upholstery skills for good measure. Any ideas what would fit the best? Thanks for the help shipmates!!!

I tried sending this and it asked me to upload something so there it is.

Attachments

• photo218845.jpg
    photo218845.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the quick reply and fitting recommendation, Wood. When I was researching this same topic awhile back I found Frisco's videos on YouTube and found them to be very useful as well. This is already an excellent start. I can't get over how affordable these big old boats are but I warned him that there is likely much more than meets the eye and you better be prepared for the worst!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There's quite a bit on upholstery here on the forum. Do an advanced search and use the word Upholstery. You'll find it. Also Lots of YouTube vids I can lead you too if you want them. SailRite has a bunch!!! Here's a video from one of our members. He did a GREAT job upholstering his boat. Look up his Thread SPHELPS.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
you could look up my old thread...the big dirty... :lol: to get an idea of how extensive the possible repairs might be if you dive into an old bayliner... and yes, GWP has done some awesome work. I gave up on mine in favor of well.. something else rotten, to be honest.. :laugh: but at least has a newer/serviceable driveline. Any old boat is going to be rotten, I'm convinced of that now, but if you get a merc or Volvo powered boat everything else is just glass wood and sweat equity.

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
FriscoBoater's Youtube videos are very valuable, even for a tin guy like me. It is a big time investment, but I gained a ton of confidence and knowledge watching his restores. That being said, there are tons of great threads here...its like going to boat building school without having to take tests.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree with friscoboater's videos as well. He put a lot of work into not only the boat rebuilt itself, but also took the time to make so many informative videos. So I vote for his project. However, that doesn't mean there are not others that are equally informative and well laid out either. These forums are covered with an amazing number of rebuilds that so many have charted. So search and read and learn... So many great boat projects to see and learn from.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would agree on friscoboaters Searay....the ones I go to the most are Archbuilders Miss Morgan, Wogs Blue Flamingo, Frisco'sand Sphelps 64 MFG rebuild. I utilze them because they are all encompassing, cradle to grave builds. Pack full of invaluable information.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Too many great threads to count really !! Some of the best are still ongoing ! Including ^^^^ That guy ! ^^^^
GT , Zool , Nursman , Friderday , and gm is jumping right in there with some great fab work in progress ! Kc , Minch, just too many to list ! :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Too many great threads to count really !! Some of the best are still ongoing ! Including ^^^^ That guy ! ^^^^
GT , Zool , Nursman , Friderday , and gm is jumping right in there with some great fab work in progress ! Kc , Minch, just too many to list ! :)

Sam,
Thanks for the Honorable Mention. I'm with you there are so many great threads in progress and past to pull info from. Including yours. Each one has it's own personality.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the good references. There is definitely a lot to take in and plenty of excellent information to navigate through.