14' 60's Larson Lapline Project

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, in that case - Did you hear the one about................... LOL

If the paint is latex, a pressure washer will probably knock most of it off, 850.

Good call! I'm going to give that a shot for sure. Very unlaborious (is that a word?)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good call! I'm going to give that a shot for sure. Very unlaborious (is that a word?)

I saw it on the Internet, so it must be. Right? :D

I'm sure there is latex that sticks to oil-based paint, but I haven't come across any.......yet.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pressure washer obtained (borrowed it back from the borrower), ready to go this weekend if it ever stops snowing long enough... We do most of our "dirty work" at his place, so it's on semi permanent loan. I'm wondering if I want to put some stripper on it before I attack it? I'll try without first

I'm starting to wonder about the next step already, I assume I will need some more self etching primer for the bald spots. Think 1 can will do?

By the way, I sent a request for information to Mirrocraft yesterday. I have been looking and looking and it kind of looks like a Sea King to me. Not sure about the age though.

Jeep Man

Commander
I too do not believe it is a Mirrocraft. I own a '50s Mirro and it is quite different. Mine is a pre-mirrocraft when the company was called Aluminum Goods Mfg. A year after mine was built an employees group from AGM purchased the boat division and started Mirro Aluminum Company. My boat has very different transom braces and has the lapstrake pattern all the way up to the gunwales, a pattern they continued for a long time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I could see it being a Seaking, they had some different designs out there for quite a long time, but like I said before, it does look like the Mirro that I have.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
New evidence acquired, I was stripping paint and generally goofing around and I found this.

Any thoughts on this outline?

GA_Boater

First vote for

515959501.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
You guys are good, I didn't expect a Larson. The paint stripper is working better than the heat gun. I haven't tried the power washer yet, I didn't have another person here to help me haul it around. It's current place would be a mess if paint starts flying. Thanks guys, I'm definitely getting a repro sticker for it!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey GA, was wondering if I could change the name on this thread to "14' 60's Larson Lapline project"?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, now that is over, I am really looking forward to it having a new life!

:D

GA_Boater

Hey GA, was wondering if I could change the name on this thread to "14' 60's Larson Lapline project"?

Is it worth a 6 pack, 850? :rolleyes:

The clue was the L hook outside the comet. Your thread has the new title, no more guessing. :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely worth a 6er, just for the name alone. I honestly didn't know Larson made aluminum boats? I'm going to try to find some more information on Monday about these these things. Thanks for the change GA!

GA_Boater

No prob, 850.

On Fiberglassics, the Larson page has some history and Larson separated into two companies, one glass and one tin. I'm not sure when that happened and the tin co. ended up under Crestliner, I think. The glass co, is still going great guns today.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting stuff here, not about to become a Larson historian but still interesting.

I think this boat (according to this article) cannot be younger than September 16, 1957. And guess what...it's not a "Lapline" either, Oops. I guess mobile phone research and PC research are two different things. I better stock up on beer.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Um, I've been asleep at the wheel....

I have the original billl of sale for this 1967 Larson 14ft'r:
Larson002_zps68eba96f.jpg

Which I think is a Game Warden 14ftr:
1967LarsonAluminum_zps493e894d.jpg

I bought it for the motor last spring, and it's been tucked in the back of my storage unit, waiting on a couple new bench seats. I can't even run over there and quickly shoot a pix of the transom knee brace or even see it to compare to your's.

It was missing a transom corner cap, so I ordered replacements which aren't installed yet.

Your's definitely seems like mine.

Duh, sorry......

So many boats, so little time......

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
JB, that is exactly the same boat. Mystery solved, I read somewhere that they stopped naming them Larson are 1957 when they joined with Crestliner (but obviously that was wrong). Thanks again.