14' 60's Larson Lapline Project

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Fellows,

I am working on my second tinny, the first was a 1976 Starcraft SS. I found this 14'er last fall and bought it for $250. It seems to have been used pretty well, and I'm guessing it is from the late 60's or early 70's.

I need some help figuring out what it is, it has a hull stamp on it but nothing else to identify the manufacturer. I was hoping of your might recognize something on it. I'll post photobucket pics in a minute.

Thanks guys for helping me figure this out. I plan to repaint it and redo the interior, without going over board. I have a 9.5hp 2 smoke Evinrude that I intend to use on it. Lot's of the smaller lakes in Colorado don't allow anything over a 10hp so it will be a perfect little fishing machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know , 850. She just doesn't look Starcrafty to me. But she could just be a real oldie, too. Do you have a pic of her upright?

Other than curiosity, she will be a fine restricted HP lake fishin' tinny. :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope, Sorry GA. It's been turtled since I bought it last fall... I'm going to get the hull paint done before I flip it over.

Right now it's in the side yard getting sanded and scraped. I want to take the old numbers off and replace them, but I kind of like the dents it makes it looks loved.

I took the "transom" apart and replaced the wood, sealed it with spar varnish. There isn't must to it really, it's a 1" X 5 1/2" board that is only slightly weathered, The transom plate on the back (obviously) is trash but it made a good template for the new on.

I thought maybe the corner caps would be a give a way to someone. They are pretty ugly, but who cares!!! I have very limited plans for it right now, maybe a couple of cheap bolt in swivel seats, rod holders, and cup holders.

There is a little trolling plate on the front, but I think I am going to put the electric trolling motor on the back next to the Evinrude. I'm hoping to have it ready to play with in a couple weeks, but that probably means June.

It doesn't have a trailer and I kind of like the idea, we'll see if it that convenient in reality?!?!

GA_Boater

If you have a pick-up, stuff her in the bed and go to the lake. More added patina.

Some of the old SC's had a star on the corner caps, but I don't know if that was across the board. Did you get paperwork when you got her? You know - The time honored question. :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks more like one of the older Mirrocraft utilities from the late 50' or early 60's, same corner caps and such.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
No paperwork, in Colorado the department of revenue only cares about trailers... No such thing as a boat title in this state, maybe a certificate of origin but that's it. The OHV sticker is only linked to a hull registration number (which I have thankfully). They will likely link to the 6 digit stamped number on the transom skin to the boat numbers. Funny thing is they don't change the numbers on boats when they get new owners. I will just have to show up with a simply form and 25.50 a year for OHV stickers. Even a simple trailer in Colorado costs you about $45 a year for the plates, It's a terrible rip of in my opinion.

I'll see what I can find online about old Mirrocrafts, if the transom support is similar you've probably figured this out for me. Thanks MT and GA

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you go to the Mirrocraft website and email them the information you have on the boat, they normally can tell you if it is one of theirs, I would also send a picture along with your email, I had a couple of them I was trying to ID and they were very helpful.

GA_Boater

I think jbcurt00 has done that with some Mirrocrafts. I think they are one of a handful of manufacturers hanging on to old records.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think jbcurt00 has done that with some Mirrocrafts. I think they are one of a handful of manufacturers hanging on to old records.

Nope, I have done a few Alumacrafts though. I'm impressed w/ their customer service w/ regards to old boats. And if it's worked for MT too w/ Mirrocrafts, I'll have to remember that.

I don't think it's an Alumacraft, transom knee is wrong, and the HIN/serial # would be on the knee not the exterior transom if it was an Alumacraft.

Still a nice shallow draft 14ft'r. Outstanding.

GA_Boater

Sorry for accusing you. JB. As soon as I saw Alumacraft, I :doh:ed. I knew it was one of those. We have too many XXXXXXXXcraft boats. :eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Since 1973Chieftain gave a Mirrocraft a go, i dont think there have been but 1 or 2 iboats

Apprentis, has 1, but its a closed bow runabout. Rib/knee details might be similar enough to ID it as a Mirrocraft.

I'm not saying it can't be a MirroCraft but my 1963 MirroCraft 14 ft. Fisherman looks totaly differant and has a information plate on the transom. I'll try to post a photo or two in the next few days for comparison.

Papa :fish2:

OK, here are a few photos of my 1963 MirroCraft project. Please note the difference in the transom, the rivet pattern of the keel, and depth of the sides.

Papa :fish2:

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Papa, Your Mirrocraft and mine look a lot different, so it seems there may have been some variation in there at times in their production.

;)

GA_Boater

When I saw Papa's ID plate and Mirro Aluminum Co., it triggered something. I Googled and found out Mirro started out making cookware, that's what sent me searching, and Sno-Coasters. Remember those?

Sorry about the hijack, 850.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I saw Papa's ID plate and Mirro Aluminum Co., it triggered something. I Googled and found out Mirro started out making cookware, that's what sent me searching, and Sno-Coasters. Remember those?

Sorry about the hijack, 850.

Yup, Mirro started out as a pots and pan company, and have done quite well over the years with their products lines, good stuff and at the time quite expensive.

Of course it is amazing how many of the tin boat manufactures started out in something else and how many of them were so important during the war.

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, sorry for not getting on here for a few days. I'll keep browsing Google images until something pops up that looks the same. I guess I'm not really all that concerned, I wonder if they have the brand on file with the ID# down at the DOW And GA, you can hijack any old time.

I peeled the ID # off using a heat gun I bought from HF last year, and some of the side paint almost liquefied in the process. When I scraped the side numbers I found that the topside paint is most likely some kind of latex, I guess I'll have to remove it before painting with the oil based stuff I plan to use. Not just a scuff and spray I guess. Oh well, I'm sure it will not take long...

GA_Boater

GA, you can hijack any old time.

Well, in that case - Did you hear the one about................... LOL

If the paint is latex, a pressure washer will probably knock most of it off, 850.