Winner Resto

hc43

Cadet
That's it I'm Finished with this, Finished grinding out the hull and stringers that is!! I knew this day would come but at some points it seemed so far away. Now its here and it feels GREAT. I'll take some pictures after the dust settles in the garage and I have a couple of cold cold beverages. Cheers guys.

hc43

Cadet
Ok so the stringer "grid" as a whole is not coming out due to the fact they used pb on the bottom on the dips to secured it to the hull so I cut the stringer just aft of the bilge area. I Will post pictures tomorrow when I get home from work but now I have a couple of questions. When I put the stringer "caps" back in place I plan to bed them in PB to level them does this seem like a good idea? Also then I do my transom I want to make it a little bit thicker then the original it was only 1 5/8, I would like to make it closer to 2". I'm going to use marine grade 3/4" plywood laminated together. My idea was to use PB to glue the two pieces together but what size of woven roven do I wrap my transom in? Is 20 Oz going to be too thick? I was going to tab it in with 20 Oz woven because I have it available locally. First I was going to tab it with 8" strips then 16" strips. After I tab it in Should I cover the whole transom in 20 Oz woven? Also when I put the transom in Should I leave a 1/8" gap around between the hull and transom and fill it with pb? OK well I think I've tossed enough questions at you guys for 1 night again thanks for any advice I will check this post tomorrow to make sure I've made any sense as it is time for bed. Cheers.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep a small gap around the hull is good . You will fill it when you do the fillets .. If your using polyester resin and woven a layer of 1.5 csm will need to go on first before the woven . Wet on wet .. If your using epoxy the csm is not required .. 20 oz is pretty thick but would be very strong ..

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
24oz WR was pretty common back in the "old" days for boat building, I'm sure 20oz (a size I never heard of before) would be just fine. Are you really going to use epoxy? I'm not sure the added cost of epoxy adds much value. Did I read that this boat is 45yrs old? If I guessed you were 25, and the polyester lasted 45 years the first time plus its still lasting, will you still have this boat when you are 70? Its the wood that's rotten not the composite.

hc43

Cadet
I may be wrong but I will double check the size of the WR but I'm sure it was labelled as 20 Oz. Someone else has already redone this boat once already and they made a mess of it I want to make sure it's as strong as possible. What size would be sufficient to wrap the transom in once I seal it? Would something like 4 Oz do?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If in fact it is 20 oz it would be good to use for the transom. 4oz is to light. I typically recommend using a 17oz biaxial fabric for the transom when using epoxy or 2 layers of 8.5 oz.

hc43

Cadet
Ok so I need something from about 19-24 Oz of WR to wrap the transom ? How much of a gap should I leave between the outer edge of the transom and hull? I know I need to fill the gap with PB but what would be best 1/4" , 1/8"?