12' Aluminum boat restoration, lots of questions

Bara83

Recruit
HI!

First have to introduce myself. Im freshly moved to the great US, and married my girl. Sorry, my english is not perfect, I know. Asking for help about the boat, what I found behind the barn, abadoned, rotten.
Would like to get the boat identified, and get some help about the problems.
Started to strip the benches and everything out. All wood was rotten. Benches had floating material ( molded apart ) under the seats in aluminum U shaped forms.
What wood should I use to replace the benches. They are 13" wide and were 1" thick with 3/4" wood under them holding the sitting surface together.
Im not comfortable about my options where to buy wood, and what kinda and how its called. Please help me with material infos, and how to stain them weather proof.

The other thing is that the aluminum body is probably leaking in the nose. Somebody put some fiberglass in the nose corner, which is falling off. How to reseal aluminum? Use silicone or get it welded? Im pretty crafty tho, could handle by myself if I would know what to do.

Engine is a 1968 Johnson 6 hp. Took the lower part apart, got it cleaned, resealed and fresh lubed. Getting condensators and points tomorrow, spark plugs are new. Hope I can start it without too much trouble.

All the images can be found in this album: https://plus.google.com/photos/116927127103269574846/albums/6135206384004162769?banner=pwa

See pictures, comment. Thank you for every positive, helping and building comments!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I can't venture a guess on who made your boat, it is very similar to many boats that came out in the 50's and 60's, but as far as the foam, that is easy to replace, a local home improvement store carries 4x8 foot sheets of high density foam that can be cut and stacked in those bench seat areas, look for either pink or blue colored foam about 2 inches thick

Bara83

Recruit
I got the engine running today. Can't believe, how nice its running after sitting around so long. Go to buy lumber tomorrow. Very excited about it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats and of course the great USA Bara!

Bringing an old tin boat back to life is an awesome and ambitious endeavor even the small ones. For the wooden seat benches I would try for mahogany but some have used red oak too. Once stained with some coats of spar urethane they will look awesome! Be sure no matter what to use some nice hardwood rather than softer pine or fir wood.

64osby

Admiral
If you remove all the fiberglass from the bow you can seal it with Gluvit or Coat-it. They are a flexible epoxy sealants that work great.

What wood was on the seats? Plywood or hardwood.

She looks well used. Get it leak free if you can, fix up the seats and get on the water.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you plan to use this boat on public water ways, your going to need to register it.

Private lake/pond use you may not need to.

If you found the boat and trailer on property that you bought, you should file for ownership under the abandoned property regulations of your state.

If I had to guess based on the pix you linked, I'd guess its an Alumacraft from the 50s or 60s.

Is there a diagonal knee brace from the bottom of the hull up to the transom. If there is, and its an Alumacraft, there should be a number stampedon it.

Post a pix of the transom (back end of the boat) from the inside and outside.

Welcome to iboats, boat rehab work, the US and marraige...

Bara83

Recruit
Thank You all for the responses. Had to stop the boat works, because had to fix a lots of cars in between. My wifes grandparents lost the papers, but should be no problem to obtain a new title for the trailer and for the boat. Have to fix the trailer first, that I can haul it away, because we are moving. Very excited about everything, Ill keep you posted after I started working on the boat again. The engine is leaking oil out of the lower section. Going to need some more sealings replaced -.-

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Have to agree on the Alumacraft. Year and model???? Trailer looks to be an early 1950s Gator. If it was a family members boat they should be able to obtain a replacement title or registration card.