liberty teak work and refurb project advice

tbone999

Seaman
Ok gentleman

So I have a beautiful 1974 bayliner liberty, I have add a few things starting with a wet sand/cut polish, dual batteries with switch, new Laurence elite 5 chirp and a sound system to start, I had redone the teak when I first got it but the bow hatch is in need of replacing. So I bought a piece of 3/4 teak ply(don't ask what it cost) and will start working on it this week, along with the bow hatch I plan on making a new transom fish locker cover since I should have lots of material left over. So the first thing I'm looking for advice on is oiling the wood! I have been using sekkins which I still have half a can, but I heard if I just oil it often I won't need to do sand it down and refinish every year! True? ....if so what kind/brand to use????? I don't want to make any mistakes on a piece of lumber that cost that much.

I'll be adding pics ASAP

Enjoy and thanks for any help

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
At best you'll have 1/16" of teak on the surface of the plywood. That's all the oil will be able to penetrate on the flat areas due to the resin bonding layer blocking it from penetrating to the other wood layers below. Therefore it's very important to soak all four edges of the plywood pieces with the oil until they will not absorb any more oil and do this on a regular basis. With Plywood I'd probably recommend sealing the edges with epoxy just to be totally safe. No sanding required but I would apply the oil very frequently do to the UV rays breaking it down quickly. Some good Spar Varnish with UV protection is helpful but NOT required and it will change the look.

Last edited:

tbone999

Seaman
Here are a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about, and thanks wooden I will make sure to oil the sides well I'm already think about putting some sort of rubber trim on to help with that

Attachments

• Fish witch.jpg
    Fish witch.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0