Update on 87 fs170

Jshad1

Cadet
http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Jshad1/Mobile Uploads/story

I Finally got csm to go all the way around my transom. I was getting frustrated by others videos not detailing the tedious task. I would only watch resin added then "see, it's done!"
Anyway , after sanding my screw up ,on this very hard to find marine wood, I finally got it on. 2 more wraps to go , then it's installation time. I hope to have floor in in 3 weeks.

Jshad1

Cadet
I thought I was supposed to make a wrap or 2 of 1708.. Or do I ? And .... How should I get 1708 to wrap around edges .. Use 8 inch strips then cover , or?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's absolutely great that you're pre-wrapping the transom before install. After a couple of coats of resin first, I did each transom face with only one layer of 1708 and trimmed around the edges with a razor blade when it started to kick. Not totally hard, but when you can trim it clean with a razor blade. Sanded any extra bumps or rough edges when dry. Then, did the edges in 8" sections or larger and "baby sat" until it kicked. It ended up looking like this...

IMG_2333.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
"I thought I was supposed to make a wrap or 2 of 1708.. Or do I ? And .... How should I get 1708 to wrap around edges .. Use 8 inch strips then cover , or? "

Well, IMHO not really. Once the transom has been fabricated on the bench and wrapped in CSM the wood is basically sealed. You can then coat the back side with PB and the Outer skin with PB and install it in the boat. This layer of PB will provide and additional layer of Resin to protect the wood. The OOZE out of resin around all sides of the transom will totally seal the edges of the transom with approximately 1/4" to 1/2" of solid resin depending on how much of a gap you have around the transom you leave for filleting. You will then use 1708 strips to tab the transom to the hull and then follow up with 2 full layers of 1708 to finish off attaching the transom to the inside of the hull. That's how I install transoms with the exception of drilling some "Rivet" holes for added strength. Read this link and you'll see what and why I do what I do...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

This member did his transom using this method and the ooze holes and it turned out really well...
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...e9#post8512409

There's more than one way to "Skin a Cat" AND build and install a transom!!!!!

But again That's just ME and I AM just and Old Dumb Okie, SOOOOOO you have to take that into consideration!!!:eek::D;)

Last edited:

Jshad1

Cadet
Thank u!! Lol this helps me tremendously. I can Install on Saturday now

Jshad1

Cadet
Well I finally decided to buy the marine ply for my floor. I was researching alternatives, but for the time and money I already spent on this project , I don't want to screw up the lamination . So that leaves only Saturday for stringer work , and Sunday I have to travel to Memphis to pick up the wood.