Start of the S24 Sorrento Repairs

s24adventures

Recruit
Well,

New here and hoping to get lots of help as I endeavor on a quest that scares the crap out of me. I picked up a 1988 Sea Ray S24 Sorrento SXL with the trailer for 1500.00. 1988 350 with alpha 1 gen 1 1.50 gears. Cuddy with 9 gal F/W sink. Not the perfect boat but she is gonna be used for running the ICW around NC area.
I will post more this evening when I have more time of what is happening with the boat. I have followed FriscoBoater and watched his youtube on the SeaRay 22 BR....so far I am TERRIFIED of what I may find when starting the repairs.

Bondo

Staff member
Well,

New here and hoping to get lots of help as I endeavor on a quest that scares the crap out of me. I picked up a 1988 Sea Ray S24 Sorrento SXL with the trailer for 1500.00. 1988 350 with alpha 1 gen 1 1.50 gears. Cuddy with 9 gal F/W sink. Not the perfect boat but she is gonna be used for running the ICW around NC area.
I will post more this evening when I have more time of what is happening with the boat. I have followed FriscoBoater and watched his youtube on the SeaRay 22 BR....so far I am TERRIFIED of what I may find when starting the repairs.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Yer amongst Friends here,.... No fears, just answers,.... ;)

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
:welcome: Sounds like a great deal! You bought a trailer and got a free boat, I think, although I don't see any pix.... Note, there is no such thing as a perfect boat. All boats are a compromise, and there are always other boats out there that you like more than your own. You gotta enjoy what you've got until you get the next one. You came to the right place for any help you may need, the folks on here are very generous with sharing their vast knowledge and experience.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome!! cant wait to see some pix of your project!!

s24adventures

Recruit
Thanks for the kind welcome.

Well so far I have determined that I need to remove the engine and change the freeze plugs. The one behind the stbd engine mount is corroded through. Upon removal of the outdrive I have found that the bellows boot has a hole in it and the gimbal bearing is frozen. However it does have a new coupler, thermostat, starter, alternator, newer fuel tank with a 2011 sticker on it (72 Gal) It has all new upholstery and canvas to replace the old stuff and to sew a new top (the old one is dryrotted but still in one piece for a pattern), I have replaced the intake gaskets and the engine has a new oil pump (old one had an issue with the pressure check valve) All of the new parts mentioned I have done. I am installing dual batteries with switch and all new battery cables. Wife got me a new VHF, antenna and stereo system for christmas so looking forward to installing those. The engine internals look like they may have 20 hrs on them (really clean) but it does not look like the boat has been run in some time (proally why so cheap). I have ordered everything to rebuild the gimbal housing including lower shift cable kit, bellows kit with bearing, special tools that are needed, new upper shift rod with new upper and lower bushings. new front and rear engine mounts (i have the tool to reailgn the engine). Trim cylinder rebuild kit as the fluid looks like milk (know what that is) FriscoBoater has taught me alot in the last few months of research and watching his videos but I am sure that I will have additional questions.

I will be posting pics soon...

zool

Captain
Shes a good looking gal you have there s24...

when youre in photobucket, open the pic of choice, then click on the img link to the right, 4th down, it will turn yellow and show copied, then past that code in the text here. and you get this

s24adventures

Recruit
Thanks, I will have better pics once she is done and cleaned for the summer fun on the ICW. Will also post pics of how things are progressing...

s24adventures

Recruit
So...This weekend started the fun in the sun....repairs that is. Used a 2 ton engine hoist mounted (with 4 ratchet straps...pics to follow when I upload them) to the back of the pickup for height. Engine pulled nicely with this setup. Was EXTREMELY careful and let the motor hang for a few moments to make sure everything was ok. Got the boat out of the way. Found more info than I thought I would. There is an overheat "Do not remove" tag on the engine so I am guessing reman unit installed at some point. Motor looks very clean (borescoped every orifice that I could find) Found that the 2 front cavity ("freeze") plugs had corroded and fallen out (literally) Dis mantled engine and replaced all cavity plugs...new fuel pump installed. new front and rear engine mounts (back ones were pressed into the bellhousing...hint - they are pressed in from the underside and there is a separate ring that goes in before the actual mount and a 1" thickwall socket and a large c clamp will be your friend) Found that the starboard engine mount in the boat is rotten...however (unusual) sea ray laid the glass on the stringer then installed the engine mount and glassed it to the side of the stringer so the rot does not go past the engine mount (LUCKY ME)

I do have one question....I am upgrading to the Alpha Gen 2 power steering ram...Which fitting on the ram does the pressure line go. A friend of mine is making me new lines and I need to know so that I can have him put the correct ends on the line to mate with the pump that is on the boat....

Thanks ladies and gents for any info ( a pic would help)