My Boat Restoration

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive started this as an ongoing thing, Ive been slowly restoring my boat for a while now and we are getting into the hard work, Ill wack some pictures up as things go along, my boat is an Aussie made SteberCraft 17foot V Clinker Plus, when I got it the boat was fitted with a Volvo Penta Stern Drive which was as old as the universe, I wasnt fond of it, so I made the decision to fit an outboard, the engine I picked up is a bit of a bitsa its a 1977 85HP Evinrude Powerhead though I have a feeling the everything else maybe older, what leads me to think this is the power tilt set up, its just a tilt only the pump / motor is dated 1972, its possible this was just retro fitted in place of the tilt trim I think it would have had, who knows, anyways the transom is very strong and solid and I figured if it could hold the old AQ100A leg and the AQ130 motor with no engine mounts its pretty solid, so I had to cut the back out to fit the out board, rather then run the traditional self draining well it would have had if it was an outboard from new Im using a sytem as use din a previous boat of mine that was a former surf rescue boat which ran a ford 6 and a jet unit and was converted to outboard, Im using in effect a second transom which is fitted about 30 inches infront of the original, and comes up to just under the top deck, its all fibre glassed and has a few extra braces between the two, when I fit this Ill cut a pair of scuppers into the rear transom so it becomes self draining, the original engine area becomes storage , there is a large hole in the floor where the under floor fuel tank was I pulled this out, my boat sat in a shed for 14 years the fuel in it was pure varnish,I dislike running two stroke fuel in big tanks like that, it doesnt store well, so Im using two plain old ordinary OMC metal tanks, the battery will be stored in the old engine cavity , this is just the tip of the ice berg with the old girl.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo217864.jpg
    photo217864.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo217865.jpg
    photo217865.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1