Buy or Walk Away

Drive55

Cadet
Hello Everyone,
As you can tell this is my first post as a new member. I have done a few car projects but not a boat. Last Fall I bought my first boat. A 70's Arrow Glass but the 69 Merc 1250 has distributor problems I can't fix yet. While chasing that project down the boat mechanic offered up his project boat. A 1987 Sea Ray Seville 19 Bow Rider. This boat has less than 30 hours on it. The original died soon after buying it and his kids just let it sit until the floor and upholstery were gone. My mechanic bought it, tore out the old interior and floor, paid another $1500 to have the upholstery redone and stopped. The new interior is still in the garage not installed. It has the OMC 4.3 liter V6 and OMC Cobra outdrive. The motor fires right up and tilt works great. At worst I might have to do some limited stringer work along with the floor. My price is $1200. I've read on here and elsewhere this is a good boat. Should I go for it?

Last edited by a moderator:

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Well depends on a few things important to you.
OMC is no longer made. You can still get parts, but expect it to get harder and more costly in the future.
You know it needs a floor and maybe stringer work(Transom?)
So is $1200 and your time+Materials worth it to you?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The outdrive on that thing is going to be difficult to get parts for, I would pass, it is going to be way to much trouble in the future due to the drive train. I would not put that much work into something that might not work in the future, due to a breakdown and no parts availability.

Drive55

Cadet
Thank you very much for the input. I really did not expect the warnings to be against the OMC and outdrive. So I assume all of the good stories I read about this Sea Ray model likely had the Merc option?

Tnstratofam

Commander
With less than 30 hours on the drive you should have a reasonably reliable engine and outdrive set up. That is if it was winterized before she was left out to rot, and if over the years everything hasn't dry rotted. Sea Ray has a good reputation however being left out in the weather for years on end unprotected will turn the best built boat into a pile of junk. That means allot of glass work is in the future for anyone thinking of restoring her. If someone does restore her they can expect lots of hard work and money, and the end result will be a good boat that might have the value of the materials you have in her. $1200 dollars, for a boat that will in most likelihood need an additional $2500 in structural repairs plus anything the engine and outdrive might need seems steep. Having the interior finished helps, a bit but the only way this deal would be good for me is if it's the boat I always wanted, and if I was ready to put allot of time and money into repairing her.

The outdrive and engine combo are a potential liability, but they could run for years with minimal maintenance. Not a deal breaker for me, just something to keep in mind.

By the way :welcome:. You've found the best site on the web for all things boat. Let us know what you decide. If you do pick her up there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that can help you get her put back together as good as new.

By the way the Stratos in my avatar is an 88 with an OMC 350 Chevy and Cobra outdrive. Had her for three years now and she's got way more than 30 hours on her so I'm a little biased. I'm also prepared to repower her if the outdrive becomes unreliable.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the forum

Read this

Well my new tablet isn't letting me post a link here so google Stuart Hastings omc

Drive55

Cadet
Yes I found that website last night after the OMC comments. Because it is an 87 I assume it still has that original shift cable.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
they can be great just gotta know what you are doing and the parts are getting scarcer