Can I cut into the boat to repair the bow eye?

I am the proud new owner of a 1976 ThunderCraft Titan. She runs good, and with a fresh interior and some minor work should be ready for some fun this summer. The repair that concerns me most is the bow eye. It appears that the bolts on the back have wiggled loose. I don't think there is any real fiberglass damage. My boat is a bow rider, and you can see, but not reach, the the threads through the seat compartment. In the front of the bow is a fiberglass wall, and if I were to cut and install a deck inspection plate I think id be fine. But will cutting into the wall hurt my boats structure? It's a very solid old boat with strong floors, splash well, transom and was made out of thick glass. I'd hate to cause damage to my new $500 project. If it can be cut away, then I would install a sturdy bow hook with a backing plate and move along.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
I am the proud new owner of a 1976 ThunderCraft Titan. She runs good, and with a fresh interior and some minor work should be ready for some fun this summer. The repair that concerns me most is the bow eye. It appears that the bolts on the back have wiggled loose. I don't think there is any real fiberglass damage. My boat is a bow rider, and you can see, but not reach, the the threads through the seat compartment. In the front of the bow is a fiberglass wall, and if I were to cut and install a deck inspection plate I think id be fine. But will cutting into the wall hurt my boats structure? It's a very solid old boat with strong floors, splash well, transom and was made out of thick glass. I'd hate to cause damage to my new $500 project. If it can be cut away, then I would install a sturdy bow hook with a backing plate and move along.

:welcome: to iboats

If your talking about cutting a hole as indicated in the Pic below I don't see an issue IMO.
Inspection hole.jpg

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I agree, a hole in the place indicated in the picture above will not weaken the boat's structure. But just to explore another option, have you tried to reach with one of these flexible extensions bars you connect to a ratchet with a deep socket at the end? It might take a little bit of time but it might just do the job. Just thinking out loud.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see no problems with however you go about fixing that issue. I do see a need for a good metal backing plate for the washers and nuts to tighten against though. I would easily cut the opening and fix it and cover over it or patch it. Either option is yours to select... If you tighten it up and in a few months is loosens up again, you may have some decaying wood underneath there that may have to be replaced. So watch out for that to happen. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The hardware is looking pretty crusty, Volks. With the amount of rust on the threads and nuts there is a good chance the wood block is getting soft too. The nuts/studs might end up breaking.

boweye.PNG

The access like AllDodge marked and Grandads port cover will make it easier to do do a good repair. Use a good sealant inside and out to keep the water out side.

Good luck on the fix.

Last edited: