1983 Bayliner Cuddy Restoration

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Excellent! thank you sir and MR.ladiesrmyhabit for the video. lol

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
What is the best product to use to get the old crusty, scabby stickers off of the hull without damaging the gel coat?

zool

Captain
What is the best product to use to get the old crusty, scabby stickers off of the hull without damaging the gel coat?

You can use a heat gun on low, or a hair dryer, and a plastic scraper or razor..then goof off, or the like....you will likely get ghosting...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup Heat Gun and plastic scraper but, I also have found that some Wet Water (Water with some dish soap added) helps alot while your heating and scraping. It acts as a lubricant and helps the glue release better from the gel coat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Tank sticker says 28 gallons. What can I use to hold 28 gallons of mystery fuel? which of my buddies can I get to suck start the syphon :yuck:

Yeah you can borrow my heat gun of you need one but I'm not sucking on any hoses. :lol:

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
ghosting is ok because I plan to put new striping on but I want to start with a really clean hull. Thanks.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Tank sticker says 28 gallons. What can I use to hold 28 gallons of mystery fuel? which of my buddies can I get to suck start the syphon :yuck:

I just disconnected the fuel line from the motor, a few squeezes of the primer bulb, and let her go into whatever plastic jugs I had.

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Went out to do a little work on the boat, removing more foam and then tried to drain the fuel tank without success so I went inside. Then I get a strange text :cell: from Watermann wanting to know if I'm taking a nap.. He's parked in my driveway eyeballing :shocked: my house . Round 2 with four hands and four legs manning hoses and containers, we were able to get the 28 gallons drained from the tank and the tank removed from the boat :D. Thanks Watermann! That's it for working on the ol gal for a while. Going down under tomorrow for 2 wks.:croc:

zool

Captain
So he ended up sucking on the hoses anyway? :lol::eek:

Have a safe trip Yarney!

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
My First Mate, Jb (10) helping out, while Uncle Watermann stays an arms length from the itchy glasser hull.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
LOL, no hose sucking. Hose was 50' long so I was able to run the hose downhill until it flowed out on it's own into the cans.
Man rotten gas reeks! :painkiller:

Itchy yeah, first mate JB was getting the glasser itch warnings when I took the pic. :lol:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yarney looks like a fun project!!! Take a lot of pictures not only to share, but to aid in the reconstruction. Tagging along!!! :thumb:

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Just back from our Australia family vacation. Looked at several harbors full of boats, this is Darling Harbor in Central Sydney and the well known Opera House.

Now that I'm home and broke :upset:, I'll have to see what kind of progress I can make on the Bayliner.

zool

Captain
Welcome back!...those 2 Azimut looking yachts are sweet, but whats with the pink octopus on that submarine looking thing? lol

When ur broke, you do the grunt work ;)

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Still here. I have been following several restorations in order to bone up on what I have ahead of me. Everyone has been doing such a great job on their boats, I hope mine turns out as good. It's been a while, but the boat has been moved up to the garage from it's spot in the lower driveway. Now I'll have full access to power, water and all the tools. I did a little more demo today removing the dog house and seat frame work. The motor is ready to be removed, just have to get a couple buddies over to help.

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
The photo above was taken from a foot bridge over Darling Harbor looking towards the Australian Maritime Museum. There is a 2000 leagues under the sea exhibit for kids inside with the Nautilus sub for the kids. The giant octopus is part of that exhibit, but the sub its on is Australian Navy not Capt Nemos.lol

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The photo above was taken from a foot bridge over Darling Harbor looking towards the Australian Maritime Museum. There is a 2000 leagues under the sea exhibit for kids inside with the Nautilus sub for the kids. The giant octopus is part of that exhibit, but the sub its on is Australian Navy not Capt Nemos.lol

Good to hear from ya Yarney! It's quite ironic while reading your post men at work are playing on the radio, and I was going to make a stupid joke, and ask
If you were eating a vegimite sandwich! Then I thought that would just be stupid. Any how I won't ask and good to see your post..!!!!

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Now that the boat is up by the garage it's easier to go out and do busy work like removing screws and stuff from the hull and scraping off all the old decals. The motor will slide into the garage on an engine stand, next to my Opel GT after we get it out.