1984 Wellcraft 248 Sporstman Restore

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Roseburg forest products, cool. My wife's late uncle and then her now retired cousin used to be the foreman on Roseburg forest products crusher crew for their road building division. Her cousin still lives in Roseburg, Oregon. Just to add something about boats to this post, the admirals cousin has a 22 ft river boat (I cannot remember the make) and spends a lot of time up the Rogue river. Anywhooo, carry on, great post.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Roseburg forest products, cool. My wife's late uncle and then her now retired cousin used to be the foreman on Roseburg forest products crusher crew for their road building division. Her cousin still lives in Roseburg, Oregon. Just to add something about boats to this post, the admirals cousin has a 22 ft river boat (I cannot remember the make) and spends a lot of time up the Rogue river. Anywhooo, carry on, great post.
That's cool, I was born in Oregon, I didn't realize that's where they were located.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really felt like things were coming together but I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that this is never going to happen again. It really bothered me that this project was not going to be a 100% restore. I shifted gears and started working on the deck helm. I repaired the floor a few years ago but wasn't able to repair it completely due to the fact of having to lay on my back to perform the work and couldn't access everything. I also wanted to turn the storage into a live well - cooler so I decided to drop the storage box and redo the entire thing so I could get a full sheet of floor in rather then having 2 splices

Ground down and ready to go!

I had an after thought of maybe I should have taken better measurement and angles. before taking it out :(
The helm deck sits on top of the liner and has a slight angle to it, one on the vertical section with the windows and another horizontally in front that sits on a lip from the liner and supports the span. Since the liner is now cut and loose on both ends the angle has to be right on for reassembly. I know there was probably easier ways of doing this but for me it was going to be easier then when I replaced it on my back ;)
I put the helm back in and was able to use the same screw holes from the helm to deck, that way I know the angle will match up.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I then was able to laminate the vertical to hold the angle. I also was able to jig the liner, after cutting every thing out, it shifted.

​The next day we took it back out to laminate the floor and the double 3/4" span support
I only sealed the laminate side with 3 coats.
Then I was able to fill-it the rest

I also thickened it to a mayo but didn't snap a pic
I'm going to wait before I glass, when I figure out what I'm doing with the live well I'll do a wet on wet .

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is where things get interesting, time to splice into the existing

​Started poking around and didn't like what I found :(
The front stringers were not fine, in fact the two center ones that run back to front were soaked on the bottom and rotted in a few places, let's just say I questioned some things at this point. Again the topic came up, Why didn't we pull the cap? This was a huge step backwards but was assured we were better off not pulling the cap. The plan was to keep going forward and cut access in the liner where needed, I wasn't fond of this idea but was reassured by the pro helping me out.
He was working during the day and I was working there after work in the evenings.

Check out this factory splice

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really trying to get caught up to current progress, I'm just extremely busy and seems like every minute is accounted for. I'm off to work on the boat but hopefully next chance I have I'll have you all up to speed. Things have gotten extremely interesting ;)

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Great work. Second Chance really is getting a second chance! And awesome post! Very well documented with lots of pix....I like pix.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well ya got some tricky get to spots but a couple of Extreme Yoga classes and you'll knock it out. Nice progress btw.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
On another note because the area was so restricted to work on. After removing the rotted wood I was able to leave the actual glass skin intact. Patched a couple of little gouges and cut/fit the new stringer back in just like it was a transom replacement. Then I was able to fillet and glass the outside. If I remeber correctly I pre glassed those 2 pcs. first then made the tabbing next.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work sc Sorry to hear about the rotted front stringers

Thanks, the rot really took the wind out of my sails but better to deal with it now I guess.
I see your making some serious progress!! Great job!! We both need to kick it in high gear, there's open water out there and it won't be long.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great work. Second Chance really is getting a second chance! And awesome post! Very well documented with lots of pix....I like pix.

The name is definitely appropriate now lol. My father named a 30' Trojan Second Chance, he bought it as salvage and repaired the damage from it hitting the break wall in Cleveland, it sat on the bottom of Lake Erie for 3 days. I'll have to find some pics of that boat, lots of good years on her.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well ya got some tricky get to spots but a couple of Extreme Yoga classes and you'll knock it out. Nice progress btw.
Thanks Kc, the yoga classes won't be necessary, I'm a plumber and find myself a contortionist more then I'd like :(

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On another note because the area was so restricted to work on. After removing the rotted wood I was able to leave the actual glass skin intact. Patched a couple of little gouges and cut/fit the new stringer back in just like it was a transom replacement. Then I was able to fillet and glass the outside. If I remeber correctly I pre glassed those 2 pcs. first then made the tabbing next.
That's pretty much the way it went, not fun working through small access areas but after 2 days was able to dissect it out, that was a month ago and my arms still hurt ;)