Mid 1960's OMC Evinrude gull-wing, a work in progress.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hell, I had to go buy the grandkids Minion shaped bandaids!

I think you both are wrong. Unless it is Spiderman, how can it stick together? Come on...think...spider web... :facepalm:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick update, the boat project has been put on hold for the past week, due to a 20 year anniversary reunion for the closing of my nearby AFB. Lots of friends came into town and it was nice to sit back and just relax as we drank a few suds. Been thinking of a lot of ideas though, and once I get started back on the project, I will see what I can engineer. Just wanted to let everyone know that I by no means have abandoned the machine or Iboats. Next step is to test fit the front deck panel, if it fits then we should be fine. Otherwise, modifications are in order. Thanks everyone.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just a quick update, the boat project has been put on hold for the past week, due to a 20 year anniversary reunion for the closing of my nearby AFB. Lots of friends came into town and it was nice to sit back and just relax as we drank a few suds. Been thinking of a lot of ideas though, and once I get started back on the project, I will see what I can engineer. Just wanted to let everyone know that I by no means have abandoned the machine or Iboats. Next step is to test fit the front deck panel, if it fits then we should be fine. Otherwise, modifications are in order. Thanks everyone.

Quantumn, I haven't posted much effort on my boat project for a multitude of issues. But I have not abandoned the project in the least. I have been ordering lots of the little small piece parts and wire. And trying to work on it between the heat and family issues. Hopefully I can get back to a work routine myself and get it done...

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the progress has not stopped, sort of shifted the focus on other parts of the resto. Still undecided about the 2-part foam for a couple of reasons. But I have been spending the past few weeks wet sanding, wet sanding, wet sanding. Did I mention I was wet sanding? Sure is alot of work but doing it right sure helps in getting good results. Here is a quick shot before the sanding/buffing/polishing started:

After a good few nights work, the result is rather decent, especially knowing this is the original gelcoat from the early 60's:

I am flabergasted by the way it turned out, though I have a green tint that seems to be imbedded into the gelcoat. I tried on a small section of the keel to remove it, and it seemed to go almost down past the gelcoat and into the fiberglass material, not good. Guess I can live with this knowing I will be re-gelcoating. Most of it is below the waterline, and will only show up while on the trailer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Quantum, glad to see another post on your project. And what a amazing effort with that gel coat. Unless folks have ever wet sanded anything, they just can't understand the amount of effort involved. I know how much it takes and you've done an amazing job. :thumb: Very nice work... :clap2:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Gm, wet sanding takes it tolls on your hands, not to mention a mess it can create. But the results can be very rewarding. I am now working on the center console, to remove the old "spray paint" and get back to the original gelcoat. That is being a major project in it self.

After removal of alot of the hardware, I have begun to delve into the unknown. Still attempting to figure out how to remove the wheel so I can restore that, but I am sure I can get some insight from the Iboat crowd on why I am having a very difficult time removing it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can't honestly suggest how to remove the wheel, never have done so before, but I do think you will work it out. You seem to have a knack of figuring out things well. I will say that you can also polish out the windshield and make it look like new again as well... :thumb: Keep posting pictures for a few great reasons. I like seeing your efforts and progress and others get encouragement for their project when we supply pictures and verbiage about our projects! So until next update... :thumb:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quantumn, the gloss on that looks awesome. Good Work! Hey did you wet sand that? :D

Trying to keep it simple, I have been wet-sanding with 600 grit and then moving up to 1200 grit. Simple wrapping of the wet/dry sandpaper in a green scrubber pad and as the Karate kid did with sanding the floor, back and forth, lol. Also I use Bar Keepers Friend cleaner spray, which has oxalic acid (great for cleaning gelcoat/fiberglass), really works out well for me. After that, a little 3m rubbing compound applied with a 3" white wool pad on a orbital air sander to remove the fine scratches. It looks great. Next step is a long time secret I have been using since the early 80's, Liquid glass applied with the same orbital sander but with a black foam polishing pad. Baby steps along the way, and she looks decent. Though I am not even sure I could take it one step further, without going to new gelcoat, I could use some suggestions for a good wax. Any ideas?
(disclaimer: It has been forever since my sport 16 has ever seen tlc, so starting with 600 grit was needed to take off the extensive years of oxidation and neglect. Your finish might just require 1200+ to fine tune :))

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Still attempting to figure out how to remove the wheel so I can restore that, but I am sure I can get some insight from the Iboat crowd on why I am having a very difficult time removing it.

What's it look like behind the dash?? Can you/ Have you tried to remove the center hub on the front?

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's it look like behind the dash?? Can you/ Have you tried to remove the center hub on the front?

Thanks for the help WOG, here a couple pictures I took to give more a better idea on the situation, though as a viewer understand I was on my back looking up, hehe:

Picture of after I removed the nut/washer from the end steering post:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And just a little more eye candy:

Before:

After:

Sorry for that, I am just giddy about wet sanding results. :stupid:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That wheel should just remove off the shaft, should be splined and it might be stuck with corrosion, but you should not have to remove the whole assembly to get the wheel out of the boat, I have had to use 3 armed gear pullers in the past to persuade them to come off.

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That wheel should just remove off the shaft, should be splined and it might be stuck with corrosion, but you should not have to remove the whole assembly to get the wheel out of the boat, I have had to use 3 armed gear pullers in the past to persuade them to come off.

Thats an idea MTboatguy, I do have a harmonic balance puller, might have to rig it up to try and pull it off, let me dwell on that sir. I can pull on the wheel and it has a little give, but I suppose that is because the steering spindle is not busting loose and the free play I have is just it moving enough til the spindle hits the back of the console. Investigation is underway, yes. Thanks a bunch. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, on mine there was a Snap ring on the inside of the Rope Pulley assembly at the end of the shaft that held it on the shaft. I also see what appears to possibly be a set pin at the top of the assembly that you may have to drive out to remove the pulley assembly. OR you can remove the center cap from the wheel and there should be a nut that you can remove and then as stated, wiggle and pull and cuss and yell and what ever else it takes to get the wheel off the corroded and stuck shaft. I BROKE my wheel trying to get it off and had to buy a new one!!!! Good Luck...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ar-flamingo-splashed-w-pics/page5#post4703936

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can see that entire assembly coming out the front after those pulleys are slid off the shaft. But that is just my uneducated opinion. I would think there is a nut holding the wheel on as well, but honestly I have never worked on such a contraption in a boat before so everything I say is merely guesses at best... :eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That center cap on the wheel is removable, that looks like the exact same set up I had on my 1962 Seaswirl many years ago, I am surprised to see it, most of them are missing that cap and then you can see the nut in there.

The way I restored my wheel, was to use a stripper on it, then steel wool and acetone wash down, then primed, painted bright white, then I baked it in the oven at 190 degrees for an hour to bake the enamel, that thing still looked brand new when I finally sold that boat a few years later.

Last edited: