Mid 1960's OMC Evinrude gull-wing, a work in progress.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Quantumn, there is no wrong cuts, just extra pieces needed... :facepalm: It is so easy to get cuts that actually does fit exactly like you planned on. But with some ingenuity, little pieces make short work of it... And once everything is polyed and CSM and/or 1708, it never comes apart again anyway... YEA! I have confidence in your abilities... :thumb:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mucho Gracious for your vote of confidence, let the wood chips fly. I test fitted the 3rd deck board in place and it fits about as well as could be expected. Now I am in the process of routering 1/2" off the front lip to hang on to the existing plywood and will also bevel the bottom side to contour to the hull gull-wing bump-outs, (or whatever you call them, I have a name, but not appropriate for this discussion, lol). Once that is complete, I will most likely build the seat bracket braces as before with ss t-nuts and additional 3/4" down the center for support and bracing for pedestal seats.
Whew, I better get busy, time is a wasting. Tight lines to you all and other updates later today, with pics. :fish2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Quanumn I too had to "contour" my front section to fit the tri-hull hump sections. I used 90 degree air die grinders with different 2" grinding disks and sloped the underside of the floor s it would fit properly. If you have such pneumatic angled die grinders, try some of he more aggressive grits to contour those underside section. Easy peasy... This is what I'm talking about
1540329_400x400.jpg

Here is my front section contoured.
Plywood floor-1.JPG
Yea I do know what you're dealing with... Contouring the plywood for those humps gets interesting. But I think you got it now...
:thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking good Qt ! You'll have a nice dance floor before ya know it ! ;)

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good Qt ! You'll have a nice dance floor before ya know it ! ;)
That is just classic Sphelps, plenty of room for a good ole square dance, lol. It is always the rebuild that gets you excited. Knowing you took your time and did it better than original, plus made it custom for your needs.
Taking the last deck board, which was cut just about perfect, and routered the front edge to rest on the existing ply. Worked out well, suprised I didn't mangle it up too much:

Oh no, you mean I need to use a non-power tool? Sometimes you just need to git r' done:

Main reasons why I am compelled to finish up this project so quickly and drives me everyday to make progress, my family is all about fishing and though this next picture is my brother in law fishing off my dock, I am trying to finish to take my dad out fishing. He taught me at a young age on the patience of fishing and now that he does not own a boat, it is my turn to return the favor:

Without the guidance and drive from this community, I would not even be at this point. Before I closed up shop for the night, I just had to take a look at what is soon to become real:

We are getting there Iboat fans, and thanks for all your support and the look. Peace everyone, til tomorrow when I start installing the under panels on the last deck board. Go speed racer, go....:car:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Man you can really see how wide and open the boat is from the last pic ... How wide are the deck sheets cut ?

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man you can really see how wide and open the boat is from the last pic ... How wide are the deck sheets cut ?

She is wider than most boats I have been in, especially for a 16 footer. The deckboards are 48" x 69", which there is an additional 36" that is built into the main cap towards the front. This gives us 15 foot of actual deck space, bow to stern. I am still contemplating if I would like a different layout of the bow space. There is unused space below the 2 platforms which could be used for other accessories, live well, fishing platform, etc...

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For a better perspective of what I have to work with, here is a shot from the bow section showing the 2 platforms which have alot of potential, what do you all think I could do with this space?

I will need to investigate how much room I have underneath before I modify this area. Also I don't think it would be wise to use this space for a live well, my belief is that with the vessel moving and slapping into waves, it would be a shock for anything inside to adjust to. Also a built in cooler would be bad as well, would really hate to shake up my beverages, hehe. Thoughts anyone?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
How about some quality dry storage and/or tackle box storage? I mean what better place then right up front where you'll probably be fishing from anyways. I have a similar section in my tri-hull as well and I decided to make it into dry storage. Because the tri humps are under there, there is not much else you can do with that area, but equally don't want to ignore any possible storage space in any boat... We have pretty similar hulls it seems. So I am watching your efforts to get some additional ideas myself being how my tri-hull project in my first. JMHO!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How about some quality dry storage and/or tackle box storage?

Thats what I,m thinking .. I like the way you can walk right up to the bow and passengers can sit either direction they want ..
A place to stow the anchor/rope would be nice ...

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats what I,m thinking .. I like the way you can walk right up to the bow and passengers can sit either direction they want ..
A place to stow the anchor/rope would be nice ...
OOOH, OOOH, pick me mr cotter. I like that idea about anchor storage, also maybe a stash for flair gun/fire extinguisher, hmmm. Gears are spinning. Lol. Thanks for the input Sphelps and GM280, exactly the ideas I was looking for.

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy 4th to everyone and hope your day is relaxing with family and friends. I woke up this morning with a suprise in my garage, a robin decided she needed to make a nest:

That being said, its a great day to lay down some poly and glass, a couple pictures of what I am working on today while mamma is getting ready to bbq for our family who will be over in a couple hours, should be a blast:

This is the last deck board that needs glassed before installing. And what a humdinger it was to make, lots of measuring and mistakes, but we should be fine.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep that looks like it took a little thought .. :lol:
Looks great and I see you have my most important tool laid out ... Reading glasses ! Getting old sometimes ain't much fun .. :D
Happy 4th !

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep that looks like it took a little thought .. :lol:
Looks great and I see you have my most important tool laid out ... Reading glasses ! Getting old sometimes ain't much fun .. :D
Happy 4th !
Thanks my brother, and it might seem like we are getting old, but I tend to refer it as getting wiser, lol. Thanks Sphelps, and may your 4th be wonderful as well sir!

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if it's going to work, but I resorted to the medicine cabinet to block the t-nut's from resin, good idea? We will find out real fast, lol:

If it works, then the bonus plan is that for ever and ever, I will know I used bandaids to put this thing together, literaly, rofl

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't think those Bandaids are going to work, I think you might need the Minion's or the Huggy Bear type!

:D

Last edited:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So something I found out while laying on my back in the boat, thinking about my existence, I found this:

It was good that I realized that its fiberglass that has cracked/split apart. These are below the front splashwell and I believe are there only for the original windshield support. Though at this time, I do not have a replacement oem windshield, I should probably re-glass this just incase. As the boat turns, we shall post more updates. Thanks for the look everyone, and be safe this holiday.