'69 or '70 Starcraft Falcon 14

mistercooper

Cadet
Hi, This will probably be a brief resto topic because I'm already 2/3 of the way there, and haven't been documenting my progress, but I thought maybe I should take some pictures now and share them since others' images have been so helpful to me and there are seemingly only a few for the Falcon.

My dad gave me this boat after giving it to my Uncle, who used it for the salt in Cali for a bit, then couldn't keep it and gave it back on the condition that I restore it.
I think its a '69 or '70. It is titled as a '70, but the original color was a turquoise that I believe was switched to a burnt orange in 70.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures at the beginning, or at least I can't find them now. The boat came to me in rough shape with a rotted out deck, oil saturated under-foam, and trailer issues to boot.

Several months later, I've

- cleaned everything out
- wire wheeled and Gluvit sealed the bottom
- repainted the hull with Easypoxy in 'Bikini Blue' which is the closest match I could find to the original
- refreshed the steering system with new tiller cable and springs
- repainted trailer and added jack/new winch/LED lights
- lubed up the Yammy outboard, replaced plugs

Coming up next is the part I've kind of been dreading, building the deck. My original was way too rotted out to get a good trace. It came out in chunks.

image_216537.jpg IMG_2235.JPG
image_216539.jpg

Attachments

• image_216538.jpg
    image_216538.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!

Very nice old Tinny!!! Some day, If I find a Tinny like this in good condition that's close to home, I just might have to pull the trigger. I've had a few "Near Misses" but just not had the Right One!!! But who knows It might happen!!! You look to be well on your way to a GREAT RESTORATION. You for SURE have come to the right forum. The TINNERS will be along to help you out with the BEST ADVICE you can get anywhere on the internet!!!!

mistercooper

Cadet
Welcome to iBoats!

Very nice old Tinny!!! Some day, If I find a Tinny like this in good condition that's close to home, I just might have to pull the trigger. I've had a few "Near Misses" but just not had the Right One!!! But who knows It might happen!!! You look to be well on your way to a GREAT RESTORATION. You for SURE have come to the right forum. The TINNERS will be along to help you out with the BEST ADVICE you can get anywhere on the internet!!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've already learned a ton on here

I love the unmolested dash.

Can you believe Starcraft stuck this vinyl wrap over it? I was contemplating fabricating an entire new dash from Maranti or something, but once this came off I thought it looked pretty dang good. Apparently the entire bow cap has to come off in order to lift the dash out on this boat, which in turn requires the rub rails to come off and I just wasn't willing to go that far. I'm tickled there was some real nice wood under there.

unnamed.jpg

Here's what it looked like right after the wrap came off, before I hit it with Tung oil:

IMG_2057.JPG

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are a couple extra holes in my dash, I hope the wood in my '68 Falcon looks half that good.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the iboats forum Coop!

It shouldn't be difficult to fab up your decking with a few measurements. Obviously the bow sections will be the tough part with the curve. Just start at the stern and work forward. When you get to the curve at the bow you just have to slow down and take your time. Transferring your measurements to the wood pieces you can use a flexible piece of thin plywood to duplicate the curve measurements and trace it out on the ply.

The boat is looking great so far, keep up the god work!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Very nice work on the paint! What method did you use to apply it? Sprayed, roll'n tip?

mistercooper

Cadet
:welcome: to the iboats forum Coop!

It shouldn't be difficult to fab up your decking with a few measurements. Obviously the bow sections will be the tough part with the curve. Just start at the stern and work forward. When you get to the curve at the bow you just have to slow down and take your time. Transferring your measurements to the wood pieces you can use a flexible piece of thin plywood to duplicate the curve measurements and trace it out on the ply.

The boat is looking great so far, keep up the god work!

Thanks for the tips! Luckily I still have the little tip bow piece in good enough condition that I could trace. The mid section where the curve starts and has a couple stringer cutouts is my concern, which your plywood tip should help out with a lot!!

I did pick up some supplies from TAP and a buddy is coming over to help me figure out some of it today, so I should be well equipped.
My deck wood is just under 1/2" meranti, which I plan to lay up to 5/8" with roving/Polyester.

IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2242.JPG

Very nice work on the paint! What method did you use to apply it? Sprayed, roll'n tip?

Thanks! I did a roll and tip with 3/16 nap over spray SE primer. I think it looks better in the pics than in person, but it turned out ok. Not sure if I'm super impressed with the durability of the Easypoxy at this point. it is fairly easy to take off. I learned a bunch though, maybe next time I would spray and either add a hardener or move to a 2 part system. Could have just been my prep quality too I guess.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seems ezpoxy is love it or hate it. Ezmobee had trouble w it too on 1 of his aluminum boats.

mistercooper

Cadet
On the up side, I found a product I really like for restoring the windshield. 'Safe-Cut' by the Wax Shop. Not sure if they still make it, apparently my dad has had this bottle since he owned the boat.
shield.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That stuff must have one heck of a shelf life! The best thing I've found to remove haze from headlights and any kind of plastic lens is Deet. I bet it would work great on hazed ploy carb and plexi materials too. How is the crazing on your windshield?

mistercooper

Cadet
No Title

I've had a couple days break from work and got a few things done with the Falcon. With the help of a nice new jigsaw and belt sander I got a new deck worked in to the proper shape and fiberglassed. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm hoping this weekend I can get it covered with the Nautolex vinyl. Now I'm off to the hardware store to look at linoleum rollers, and maybe some contact cement. I bought the 88 adhesive but only a quart... Not sure how far it will go.

IMG_2533 (1).JPG

Attachments

• photo219947.jpg
    photo219947.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Fiberglassed the deck?

Epoxy?

Epoxy and cloth/mat?

Polyester resin and cloth/mat?

mistercooper

Cadet
I did TAP Polyester/CSM 1 layer top and bottom. I'm aware Epoxy probably would have been a better option, but money is tight. I went 1/4", so I felt it could use a little reinforcement for strength. I have a big roving mat too, but I opted not to bother.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope, just a question about what you used. If poly w cloth, good. Really was asking if you used cloth/mat at all...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Still looks like a dandy to me. You'll be done in no time and on the water.

mistercooper

Cadet
No Title

The Nautolex looks very good, IMO. I'm happy I went with it. Just some trimming and such to go. I got a piece of aluminum T bar to go between the two main deck sections and there will be a small separator between that area and the bow piece to hide the seam and keep things where they belong.

Last week the engine wouldn't start, which was strange because it ran for me just fine a couple few months ago when it was removed for painting. Narrowed it down to some bad E10 gas after it started with the help of some carb cleaner in the cylinders. That stuff really does break down in to bad stuff in no time. I put in new ethanol free gas and she started running like a top. No more ethanol in my tank if I can help it.

This also inspired me to get my plumbing done, and put in a Racor filter. Overkill? IDK. I figure it is good insurance. No budget for a new outboard any time soon. I also replaced an existing thru hull livewell pump that was disintegrating with Marelon bulkhead and some shiny new Johnson pumps.

Attachments

• photo220855.jpg
    photo220855.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo220856.jpg
    photo220856.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: