UHMW or Wood decks?

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone
I am starting to dig my boat out of the snow so I can start some upgrades. One thing I was thinking of doing is replacing my wood floors and casting decks with UHMW or some type of hard "plastic"
I figured out I can save 50 pounds or so if I am to switch. Also UHMW and products like that will not rot etc. And very easy to work with Much much more expensive but I have access to it at cost and worth the upgrade... I think. That's why I am here seeing if anyone has any input or know of any issues I could have.
Boat is a 14ft aluminum wide body Legend with outboard.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Are ya S u r e it's lighter,..??

Is it Rigid enough,..?? Flex,..??

I replaced the plywood decks in my 1973 tinbarge in 1998, or 1999, 'n they're Still in fine shape, for Considerably less investment,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The density of Plywood is 38.04#/cubic foot, or 0.022 #/ cubic inch. The density of UHMW is 0.034# per cubic inch or 58.75# per cubic foot.

It also costs about 4X that of plywood and and about 1/4 as stiff. In summary, it is heavier, costs more, and isnt as stiff. plus you can not glue it in place, only mechanically fasten.

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice
I must have done the math wrong. The only reason why I wanted to do this was to shed some weight, if that's not correct than I am happy I posted up a topic on here. As for the "ice skate" side of it, carpet would be over it... Same goes for the wood.
Thanks again guys

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Wood is light, strong, and cheap!

If you're thinking about replacing your decking, that usually means it's either rotten or well on it's way. Probably water saturated and very heavy, your floatation foam may be saturated and heavy too. If this is the case you'll save hundreds of pounds of weight by just digging out the old wet/saturated material and replacing it with new dry material. Your boat will be noticeably lighter and faster when you finish.