riveting?

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have any of you tin boat folks done much riveting?
I have a couple of boats that need a little work.
My questions are what sort of rivets do I need and what length?
A bit of a search indicates there are soft aluminum and hard aluminum rivets.
Do I want lengths about double the thickness of the pieces I need to rivet?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Exactly what do you want to rivet and in what tin boat?

Seams?

Bench seats to the gunwale?

Trim to the gunwale?

Depending on what boat you're working on, I might recommend solid rivets, for certain applications I'd recommend closed end blind pop-rivets. Still other purposes might get typical blind pop rivets (NOT closed end).

We LOVE pix, so post some of what you're working on and what you want rivet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Rivets have a grip range in which they will hold tight.
You need rivets that fit the range or thickness of the materials.
I redid my boat last year, and used 5 different rivets.
All closed end blind (pop) rivets with a domed head, in aluminum, sealed with a dab of 3M 5200 sealant for good measure.

Then I used open end large flange rivets to secure the plywood floor to the stringers and supports.

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am doing something wrong as I cannot post photos of the boat.
The new version of the forum does not seem to work at all like the old one did.
I cannot get it to accept even small versions of the photo and I cannot get it to link with the ones I have on photobucket.
Anyone care to suggest what I am doing wrong?
It just keeps popping up a window that says unknown error.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I figured out the photo posting issue obviously. Not sure why it worked today but not when I tried before.
In any event, this is a 14 foot Crestliner. Old. The heads are about worn off of a lot of the rivets.
I need to replace some on the side seam shown in the 2nd photo and some on the ribs shown in the 3rd photo.
I had planned to use closed pop rivets but I think I am going to go the traditional way and buy a rivet gun and some rivets.
I seem to have a choice of soft or hard and a whole bunch of size choices.
I am assuming the soft rivets and several sizes will be required.
Anyone have experience and basic advice?

Randy

I also have a bigger aluminum boat that I need/want to do some work on too but plan to do this one first.
A 20 foot Lund Tyee.

Last edited:

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a panorama view from our dock looking mostly west. The photo above of the boat on the shore is also taken from the dock looking mostly east. Different time of the year obviously as the one of the boat shows snow. It was taken in April 2011. The panorama photos were taken in the fall and i don't recall which year.

Randy

jbcurt00

Staff member
It looks like there are already 2 different types of rivets along that double rivet row seam.......... Previous repair work?

Brazier head 3/16" rivets are what most use, in closed end blind or solid rivets