Carpet Adhesive for Vinyl Install

crwdz7

Recruit
Hey Guys. I'm currently working on a 1983 Bass Tracker Tournament TX rebuild. My father gave me enough vinyl to completely recover the boat but I won't have much room for error. Not really any to spare. I've been reading a LOT of posts regarding all things restoration. I am getting really close to the point where I can start applying the vinyl on my epoxy resin covered plywood pieces. I've done numerous searches here and at tinboats forum regarding what type of adhesive to use. I know quite a few guys have used the Nautolex 88 adhesive, but I' having a real hard time justifying $100 per gallon. The other alternative that people seem to use in Weldwood contact cement, but I'm a little nervous about the stick it and no chance for error of the contact cement especially since I have no vinyl to spare. Before I make the commitment to contact cement, i wanted to do a little research on possible other options. Seems like the two adhesives below get used a fair amount for carpet installs but I can't seem to find if either would be acceptable for marine vinyl. Anyone used either with any luck on vinyl installs? Is there a reason that more people don't use a carpet adhesive for vinyl. I suspect that if carpet adhesives are not an option that I will attempt the contact cement route, but just want to be sure there isn't a more forgiving method before I jump in. Thanks in advance

Can get this locally at Home Depot - Roberts 6700 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet and Artificial Turf Adhesive. I've seen the posts about this softening when wet, but I would think the vinyl would protect from that as well as the fact that my boat is stored indoors so long term exposure to water is not likely.

The second seems promising, just not as much info out there about it - DAP Weldwood All-Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. Link added.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For Me it's a No Brainer!!! WeldWood Contact Cement ALL the Way!!! Do your Homework, use heavy construction paper to make accurate patterns and so some dry runs to ensure your install is spot on and you'll be fine.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The thing to watch out for when installing vinyl deck covering is off-gassing of the adhesive. Gasses will build up between the decking and the back of the vinyl causing the vinyl to bubble and separate from the decking it's supposed to be bonded to. I had this problem when I first started my vinyl installation while using the nautolex 88 adhesive. The 88 adhesive is a weak and slow setting adhesive that produces lots of gas when curing I had to reroll all of the pieces I used it on daily for a week before it quit bubbling.

Here's another member that had problems with vinyl and adhesive bubbling on his build:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-starcraft-supersport-v5-restoration?t=427003

When I switched to the Weldwood contact cement all of my gas bubbling problems went away, plus the stronger and immediate bond makes working with the nautolex much easier believe it or not. Nautolex can be a bit unruly and wants to curl away from what you're applying it to, one of the reasons the directions call for stapling it at the edges during installation. I still stapled the edges of the vinyl when I used the contact cement, but it wasn't something I had to do immediately while installing. I could wrap and roll everything and then come back and staple the edges after I was satisfied with the way everything looked.

Working with the contact cement isn't that difficult and the learning curve is short and quick. My suggestion is to cut all of your vinyl for your deck pieces first to make sure you have enough of everything you need and then practice with the scrap. After that I suggest you start with your smallest pieces first and work your way up to the biggest piece last, the biggest pieces will be the hardest if you don't have any experience but aren't bad at all once you get the feel for working with the contact cement.

Jeep Man

Commander
I have vinyl to install on my boat as well and, like you, considered carpet adhesive. The research that I came across told me NOT to use it as it will not dry properly. As carpet can breath and vinyl cannot, the adhesive will never set up properly. I'm in Canada and for some unknown reason, importing of the proper adhesive is restricted. Persistence paid off and I was able to acquire it from a boat dealer customer of mine that had brought some in for his own use.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have used $12 a gallon vinyl flooring adhesive from the hardware store for my last 2 boats, worked fine, is still fine, will be fine for years.
I used contact cement on the first one, and decided not to on the next 2. The vinyl adhesive cleans up well (warm soap and water) and is much more forgiving to work with.
It also will add an extra layer of waterproofing, should you ever get a cut in the vinyl.

Put down a 13' by 6' piece in the last boat.
Layed her down, then rolled up 4' from one end and applied adhesive, rolled out vinyl and rolled out the air.
Actually, did not roll it out, just pushed it out with my finger tips. Really easy to do if you apply it in 1' wide sections.
Then rolled up 9' from the other end, and proceeded to glue down 1' at a time.

Hardest part was making sure to not put down too much adhesive. Used a 1/16 by 1/16" trowel.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Use weldwood contact. Put it down kinda heavy with a paint brush,then press the vinyl into it while its still wet and get the placement right. The glue will transfer some to the vinyl backside. Then pull it up and let it dry then press it down again and done.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Use weldwood contact. Put it down kinda heavy with a paint brush,then press the vinyl into it while its still wet and get the placement right. The glue will transfer some to the vinyl backside. Then pull it up and let it dry then press it down again and done.

I found it took 2 coats of contact cement liberally applied to the porous cloth backing of the nautolex to properly prepare it for installation (per can instructions for a porous surface). After the first coat was brushed on and while waiting for it to dry the cloth back would absorb just about all of the first coat, the second coat would make the shiny contact cement skin that you need for proper bonding.