1986 Starcraft Islander 221 Rebuild Budget Crossroads

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks....I need a sanity check from those that have been there and done that.

I recently picked up a 1986 StarCraft Islander 221 that needs to be rebuilt and repowered. I like the aluminum hull as I can make the necessary repairs, turn it into whatever I want (and layout I want - cruiser), light weight for trailering, light weight for sand bar hopping and light weight for fuel consumption. Prior to really getting into the project, I put together a quick budget (just to see where things would fall) and was surprised as to where it ended up - $35-$40K!!!!! I attached the breakdown below. Can this be right? Am I missing something? Are my numbers close? For the cost of a rebuilt 1986 StarCraft with new motor and trailer, and all my time, I could easily pick up a used fiberglass walkaround ready go with a few hundred hours on the motor....for possibly less money. Obviously they are more weight and the seating arrangement will not be exactly what I want.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, encouragement??? Not sure what to do...

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice
1986 Starcraft Islander - Rebuild Budget
Item Cost
Cost of boat $1,200
Misc demo items $100
Hull repair aluminum $200
Hull repair welding $200
Hull repair misc (tools and supplies) $100
Wood - flooring, transom, seat boxes, etc? $500
Epoxy/Resin - coating materials $200
Paint stripping/soda blasting $500
Primer, paint and supplies $500
Gas tank rebuild (hoses, cap, vent, etc?) $150
Battery mounts $100
Flotation foam $300
Vinyl floor covering and adhesive $700
Sealants, etc? $100
Misc aluminum (edge trim, etc?) $200
Rub-rail $100
Misc S.S. nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc? $150
Full flotation bracket $1,800
Transom bracket braces - fabricated aluminum $250
Three (3) batteries - 1 starting, 2 house $300
Battery switch $75
Battery cable $75
Battery charger $100
Hydraulic steering $1,000
Gauges $175
Switches $100
Wiring $200
Bilge pumps w/ switches $200
Thru-hull fittings, hoses, clamps, etc? $100
Lights $100
Radio $200
Horn $100
Two (2) captain seats $600
Rear bench seat $1,000
Bolsters $200
Two (2) cooler seats w/ mounts $350
Anchor $100
Rope $50
Bumpers $50
Bimini top $500
Boat cover $500
Trailer $3,500
Motor rigging $3,000
150hp outboard $15,000
(blank)

Sub-Total $34,925

Contingency - 10% $3,493

Grand Total $38,418

alldodge

Staff member
Doesn't surprise me. Boats cost a bunch,

Note: Remember to refresh before repost

64osby

Admiral
You need to learn to become a bottom feeder.:D

Donor boats are a great source of inexpensive items. A $1000 "project boat" (junk hull) can be the source of a trailer, motor, seats, gauges, tanks, and all sorts of misc boat goodies.

I picked up a project boat for $100, 70hp Johnson, good trailer, 12 gal tank, battery, bumpers, lights, anchor +++........ I'll keep the motor and most of the goodies, sell the trailer and have a free motor to go on my boat. The boat was crushed at the dump.

You have $21.5K in for the motor, rigging and trailer. I think that could be done for $1 - 2K with a donor and a few days of work.

You are also converting this from I/O to OB from what I see. Why not just find a used I/O to drop in it?

If you really think you will spend that much then you should just go buy a splash ready boat for $10 to 20K.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm with 64osby. Over 21 grand of your budget is just for the IO to OB conversion. I add differently than osby and I didn't include a trailer cuz you need one anyway. Are you stuck on the change to an outboard? What shape the current motor and outdrive in?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I spent 6k on my Chief rebuild from the bottom up, no way I would spend 40k on any boat, not even a new one. Most here restore older boats to have a like new boat at a tiny fraction of the price of what your quoting. After the $600 initial purchase, my big ticket item was a glass donor boat on a good trailer that had everything mechanical I needed for 2300. That left me spending 3k on the rest. I don't count my tools as being part of the cost of the boat restoration.

So how about posting some pics of this mythical Starcraft creature you have. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
I won't list them all, because if you decide to go bottom feeder and use donor boats it won't matter anyway, BUT, several line items in your list are well below what I'd expect it to cost you.

Notably the rubrail line item for $100, I don't know if that's just for the vinyl insert, just the aluminum channel or both. If you can find just the vinyl for $100, please post the vendor, we'd all benefit from it. For a completely new rubrail channel and insert it'd be much much more, and still post up the vendor.

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for all the comments!
64osby ? I like the simplicity of the OB and the fact that is opens up large portion of the interior.
GA_Boater ? The boat came without a motor. The cost of the motor, bracket, etc? (outboard conversion) doesn?t give me as much heartburn the cost of refurbing the rest of the boat.
LastDollar ? I haven?t really given much thought or investigation to a donor boat, but sounds like I need to. I will add that to my list of due diligence!
Watermann ? I was hoping you would chime in (nice build by the way?.one of the reasons I ended up here).
Jbcurt00 ? This is exactly what I am looking for. Can you give me specifics? Yea ? the rub rail (vinyl insert only) was a guess on my part?

Bondo

Staff member
"error uploading photos"..... Any suggestions?

Ayuh,.... Post 'em on a photo hostin' site at 480x640, 'n link 'em back here,.....

If ya image tag 'em
they fit the forum page nicely,...
Or,....
Just post the link to 'em,...

What was the Original driveline in yer hull,..??

That's a pretty Sweet hull, with a 4.3l Alpha drive,...... ;)

Last edited:

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Bondo. I have no idea as to original motor or driveline. It was already gone when I picked her up.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
First off nice Islander you got there. I think some of your estimates are a bit high. Donor boats certainly can save you a lot of cash, especially in the power plant area. Good I/O's and outdrives can be found on rotted glass boats. Even if the engine outdrive need service it is way cheaper to either do the work yourself or have a shop do the work. Selling the trailer and other items removed from a donor boat can return money to your project. Online searches for needed products ie seating, pedestals, etc can yield way lower prices than if obtained locally. I went with hydraulic steering and was way less that $1000 on ebay.

The benefits of doing you own boat certainly is a rig that is set up to your desires. You will know the boat intimately inside and out. And the pride factor once completed will never be equaled by just buying a boat that doesn't meet your needs.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think before you spend 20 to 40 thousand dollars on any boat, you have got to make sure it's a boat you are going to love, I spent far less than that, but way to much on a baylinner Capri cuddy, by the time I was finished I was way upside down in it, nothing wrong with the boat I just hated it with the cuddy and the wrap around windshield it was like ridding in a crock pot, man that boat was hot and you got no air. To make a long story short I sold the boat as quite a loss, if it's a boat you know you love and are going to enjoy for along time, budget what you can and want to, just be sure