Attaching seats to the floor?

Hello.
I bought this 1969 Hourston Glasgraft that the seats were not attached to the floor. I am going to build new bases but how do I go about attaching to floor? If I fiberglass them to floor do I have to remove all the previous glass and paint down to the wood? I assume I can't screw the bases to the floor as we probably don't want holes in the floor?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
gonna depend on how permanent you want those seats. and what condition that floor is in. might want to post more of what seats you are talking about also. is it just the ones in the picture or you talkin about other ones?

Well I am either going to rebuild the boxes just like they are now or I saw the picture I attached and like that idea as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What I'd suggest is glassing some 2x2 cleats to the deck at the inside dimenstions of the bases. then you can screw into the cleats to attach the bases.;)

Sounds like a good idea. So I would have to grind all the old fiberglass off down to the wood in order for the new fiberglass to bond properly?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If the fiberglass that's on there now is adhered good or not delaminating just grind the paint down to fresh clean glass . Then glass your cleats in as WOG suggested .. Make sure you wipe the area good with acetone before you do any glassing .. :)