Snaps for a Snap On Cover

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to give it a try and make a new snap on cover for my Bayliner Capri 1750. I have a good 30' roll of sunbrella material, however I do not have any snaps. All local stores do not carry anything that strong and durable. Does anyone know where I can order snaps + device to install them for a reasonable price. Thank you

Jeep Man

Commander
Being as you are in the GTA, I suggest you check at Fastenal or Bolts Plus. Failing that, check with your local boat top company and ask where they get theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/F...%29/index.html
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/F...uds/index.html

Make sure to select the Stainless ones.

Best to have the snaps reinforced with webbing or multiple layers of material.
IMG_20140206_230118.jpg

I personally use this tool but it may be out of your budget:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/U...ner/index.html
It's the best and you will be cursing the hammer ones. Plus you can use this while the cover is on the boat.
IMG_20140203_211155.jpg

Quick fit pins are also nice to have:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/B...ers/index.html

Tools can add up!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yep, need ^ that tool. using the little mandrel and a hammer sucks

dozerII

Admiral
I agree you would have to fight pretty hard to get that tool out of my possession.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Have you ever used one of those? Not fun!

Yes, I bought a cockpit cover for my boat and had to install the snaps. I did have a fabric punch to make the holes in the Sunbrella and reinforcement webbing. Installing the snaps was really not that bad. Took a couple of hours. It wasn't difficult, it just took some time. Compared to grinding fiberglass,it was a breeze!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I did have a fabric punch to make the holes in the Sunbrella and reinforcement webbing.
For the future, try using an old soldering iron when you do that. It melts the fabric and keeps it from possibly tearing later on down the line.

Bondo

Staff member
For the future, try using an old soldering iron when you do that. It melts the fabric and keeps it from possibly tearing later on down the line.

Duh,........ Absolutely Brilliant Bruce,.... Donno how I missed that one,......

I Used to have a decent snap kit, with the vise-grip based tool, 'n many punches for alota different fixtures,.....
And a huge bag of mixed every sorta fastener saved over a lifetime fixtures,....
Loaned it out, 'n don't exactly remember who,.... Where I thought it was, it weren't,.... :rolleyes:

I like the looks of the 1 ya linked to earlier,...
The straight clampin' action would be better than the straight jaw vise-grips,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have an old pencil tip soldering iron whose sole purpose in life is melting holes and cutting rope.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
LOL...looks like they just welded on some dies. Of course the replacement dies for the press-n-snap are $40/set.

So what happens when you want to do eyelets and studs...buy another tool?
The one is the center is an eyelet and stud.
IMG_20140220_073607.jpg

Last edited:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
for the eyelets a kit like this with the dies for both looks like solution

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you guys for all help. All the links are very useful. Now I have to count number of snaps on the boat, figure out the size.

When measuring snaps, do I measure inside diameter, right?

In regards to the ebay tool, how is it vs hammer type? Much easier to work with?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think it is. Like Bruce says If it's on the boat it's the only way to go but even when it's on the big work table getting the anvil and everything lined up the hammer it in place is a pain. I think the tool is much easier and faster. More expensive but what's your time worth??