Need help identifying hull: 1974 Ouachita Convincer 3V lookalike

Skimster

Cadet
So this one is a mystery. After having a spirit-crushing trailer accident a few years ago wherein my son's and my restored microskiff was destroyed, we're ready to get back into a new project. After looking around for a while for a hull that would give us a good platform to start from, we found this 14 footer that although has been through the wars, has zero leaks, rock-solid transom, and keel. But now I'm obsessed with finding out who actually made the dog gone thing. The title is a little off, although the serial number stamped on the back of the transom matches the title and current registration. It starts with the Manufaturer's Identification Code SSY and ends with 73, so it's not a Ouachita, although it looks very much like one. Being in Florida it could've come from anywhere, but I have a feeling it was made by a small FL manufacturer that knocked off the design and likely went out of business. The Coast Guard has issued the "SSY" MIC at least one other time, but I'm not able to track it to anything that sounds like a boat manufacturer. (The manufacturer's permanent placard is missing.) Also interestingly; the vessel is listed as 16 feet on the title, but it actually measures out a little bit shorter than 14 feet. Anyway, this is kind of a Hail Mary to see if any of you guys might recognize any of the characteristics. I'm going to post a couple of pictures. Now again, this is obviously intended for a complete strip-down and rebuild project. It's not pretty. ;) Thanks so much for any help – Jim

Attachments

• photo216378.jpg
    photo216378.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo216379.jpg
    photo216379.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo216380.jpg
    photo216380.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo216381.jpg
    photo216381.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Skimster

Cadet
Wow...

That is one of the most wonderful threads i've ever read on the Internet. Can't believe I'm saying this about a boating forum, but absolutely beautiful.

Brought tears to my eyes.

You guys were really good to that guy. And his sweet family.

Much respect, and God bless you.

-James Pitt

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep ,Skimster those two ladies are real class acts and as down to earth as can be ... They really worked hard to finish his boat and the splash is coming up real soon !

Keep us posted on your progress if ya need any help just ask .. Great bunch of guys and gals hang out here and are always ready to help however they can !;)