want to secure the gas can up front

Mike in Tac

Seaman
I've got a 15hp tiller to run on my 14' Livingston. With me and the motor so close, it gets pretty back-heavy. To combat this a little, I want to move my 6 gal gas can, and my battery forward to the bow of the boat. I got a long fuel line, and the battery wires are plenty long. I'm wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for how to best go about securing these things down. Here's a pic of the spot that I want to put the gas can in. I was thinking of screwing in a couple more small tie-down hooks (like the ones in the pic), and then just wrapping a couple of bungee cords over the top of the gas can. What do you think? I just don't want to get popped by somebody's wake and have everything fly out of the boat! :) Thanks a lot, MIT

Attachments

• photo216117.jpg
    photo216117.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

dozerII

Admiral
A small 1"ratchet strap over the tank into your hooks would be simple and very secure, and the sun won't destroy the strap in a week like it does to bungee's

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ratchet strap, cargo net, and yes, if you change them once in a while, a bungee chord. I have even used velcro to secure things. the issue with velcro is the adhesive lets loose after a while.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A tie down Kit like this....

would work for both. Make sure to predrill your holes and coat them and the screws with epoxy. the 5 Minute stuff from the Dollar store will work just fine. Better yet make some small blocks and epoxy them to the deck and screw into them. That will help keep things from sliding around and save your deck as well!;)

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
A tie down Kit like this....

would work for both. Make sure to predrill your holes and coat them and the screws with epoxy. the 5 Minute stuff from the Dollar store will work just fine. Better yet make some small blocks and epoxy them to the deck and screw into them. That will help keep things from sliding around and save your deck as well!;)

That's what I used. Got it at Walmart. Four trouble free years.