Repowering decisions.

samn

Cadet
I have a 1982 double eagle 18.5 ft.with a Volvo 4 cyl. Diesel,great range however slow at getting up and going.Thinking of converting to gas motor or podding with an outboard.Cost is a factor considering the age .Any thoughts would be appreciated bear in mind most of the fishing/cruising we do is within 20-30 miles.Love the hull for our waters.

pckeen

Commander
Moving to an outboard would be a substantially more expensive conversion as you will have to block the hole for the IO, and remove the doghouse then either modify the transom for an ob and install a splashwell, or install an outboard bracket. Putting in a different I/O will likely be much cheaper (or if you are doing it yourself, less time consuming).

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice boats, those Double Eagles! I used to have a 1991 18 1/2' hardtop Double Eagle with a 4.3 Volvo gas I/O with a 290 leg, and it preformed quite well. I had a Honda 15 four stroke kicker with a steering bracket for trolling. As far as changing from diesel to gas power, personally I'd stay with the diesel, unless the engine is kaput, but it's your boat. It'd be a cool project to pod it for an outboard and gain all that space in the cockpit where the doghouse is. I always thought if I ever podded mine I'd move the step up to the cockpit area a little further back to prevent hitting my head on the roof, LOL.:lol: Let us know what you decide, and maybe post some pics of your boat. Good luck.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does it have a turbo if not that would be an excellent power upgrade on the cheap. I would do whatever is possible to squeeze a little more oomph out of my existing diesel you will miss it when it's gone. All of this is of course provided that the existing power plant is in good operating condition.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would seriously consider A nitrous set up if it does have a turbo even if it doesn't. Just add in exhaust gas temperature gauge and boom you are good to go. Just a quick shot of nitrous to get you up on step and then all that diesel economy for cruising. The best of both worlds and way cheaper than repowering. Don't be afraid of nitrous with a diesel you cannot run too lean with a diesel. Is very safe for the engine as long is you Monitor your exhaust temperature and use it briefly as described.

samn

Cadet
Hell of a decision , currently the diesel runs decent at 2700 hours.Having some issues at startup wondering if it has glow plugs.Not a real diesel guy any input on what I should or can do to reduce a cloud of smoke on startup would be appreciated.Oh yes forgot to mention it is a turbo.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Find out what kind of starting aid it has if any and make sure it is in good working order. Black smoke is partially burned fuel. Dollar for dollar diesel is by far the cheapest horsepower you can buy or upgrade.