Lone Star Cruise Master??

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
That would be some serious fun to do if I ever had the time and means to mess with one that big. If you were a neighbor Id even help for free just because it looks challenging.

Has anyone done one of these on here before?

Bdonnell

Cadet
So I went and took a look at this beast. No HIN that I could find, but by the looks she's definitely a 1955 Lonestar.

She's pretty cool! Hull is in good shape, transom is soft, floors are there, but has a couple soft spots. Has the added accessory of lots of 'coon poop. One - and only one - of the windows is broken and they've been using it as a Johnny on the spot. Rivets seem solid, all the glass (except that one port hole) is there. I found the sunshade with the fold in windows, the PO took it off. I was hoping it was the outboard motor bracket when I saw the first pics, but it's not. It's got some cool Morse docking lights, that are likely aftermarket, but were well integrated into the hull. The Morse throttle/Gear cables still have movement in them Steering is classic cable and pulley system, which is interesting based on the next paragraph. Original porta potti is there - didin't look to close at that though... :)

My biggest concern is that the PO, or PPO removed the outboard bracket, bored a hole through the transom and installed a Volvo drive system. Based on what I can tell, it's early 60's model B18 Motor and AQ100 outdrive. Looks like someone started messing with the motor, and may be missing some parts. I know it's missing the intake and carb(s) (some of those came with dual Carb setups) who knows what else. I've started some inquiries as to where to source parts for both the motor and the outdrive, but it's not looking very promising

I added a link to some of the pictures. Take a gander. She's dirty, but who doesn't like a dirty girl from time to time.

The Volvo motor in it's base form (one carb) looks to be around 75hp. Of course the portable 8 gallon tank wouldn't get you very far, but for that short distance, I bet this thing would FLY!

From a structural standpoint, I truly believe that with some good cleaning, and a few sheets of the right plywood, I can have a good structure and viable hull.

So now here's where I need some advice.

Restore her with the Volvo equipment

Find / Build / fabricate outboard motor bracket, have transom aluminum replaced, and convert back to outboard.

Run away and find someone else with sufficient time/money/patience/place/skill/tenacity/etc to enjoy this old girl

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
That is one cool old tin boat, Is the price right on it? I would be tempted to buy a glasser donor boat with a 3 liter Mercruiser reliably power her.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ya can't let that cool little piggy just sit there....Someone should rehab it. Even if it is ti ti tin.Oh that was hard for me to spell. Anne....wheres my meds?..:joyous:

Bdonnell

Cadet
I'm thinking I'll offer about $300-$500 for her in her current state. With scrap at $0.12 a pound that would make her worth about $200 with the trailer. I figure I have to sweeten it a little to buy it before the auction.

trying to find someone who can rebuild the motor.. will see how that goes...

b

jbcurt00

Staff member
That is one cool old tin boat, Is the price right on it? I would be tempted to buy a glasser donor boat with a 3 liter Mercruiser reliably power her.

Not sure I'd really want to put much money into a 1960s Vovlo motor unless it was original to the boat, since it's not, I'd be tempted to go much more modern and reliable with the better parts support of a Mercruiser I/O.

At 1200lb+ is a 3.0L more matched to the size of the boat then a 4.3L? I think Rob will admit that he's got more uumph then he'll ever need in his SOTY Chieftain with it's 4.3L, but will the 3.0 be well suited to a heavier LoneStar 21ft'r?

Lets see this big ole gal:
1.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can see why you thought the mini-hardtop was the bracket. Looking at your pics, I think the bracket was removed to stuff in the V-P. It looks like a bare outline of the bracket, right through the IO cutout.

Also, I not sure the IO install was finished. The transom plate doesn't seem to be cinched up tight to the transom or it wasn't completely reinstalled.

When you make the offer, don't forget the coon poo discount! LOL