Lone Star Cruise Master??

Bdonnell

Cadet
Hello all!
So the other day, I get a text from my brother in law. He's working on a farm, and finds an old boat. He thought it was 'cool'. I thought it was a great project.

I haven't been able to spend any time crawling around on it yet (that'll happen in a week or so when our schedules match).

Based on the pictures and his description, I 'think' it's a 55 Lone Star Cruise Master. But there's a kicker. From what I've been able to find out, the Cruise Master came with either an outboard, or an AeroJet (Crosley) Inboard with a V-Drive. This particular boat has a Volvo Outdrive. It's an I/O!. Again, from what I've been able to find out, Volvo didn't release an I/O till 1959, but this thing doesn't look like a '59 Cruiser Master. I think it's a cool looking boat, and it's complete, just needs some lovin' (I think). Any comments on this contradiction would be welcome.

I think it would be fun to restore, but if someone has monkey'd around with the thing and turned an ouboard into an I/O, I'm not sure I want to mess with it. But if it's original, it could be a blast. I haven't bought it yet, and I'll know more when I get the chance to go out there (2 hrs away) and crawl around on it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Any good aluminum restoration tips?
Am I crazy to attempt this? (my first resto)

Brian

Attachments

• photo215918.jpg
    photo215918.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo215919.jpg
    photo215919.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo215920.jpg
    photo215920.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depending on how the modification was done as to whether the outboard (probably on a factory 1955 bracket) to I/O conversion is trustworthy.

If you can tackle a big ole tin project, it's certainly a worth while project, but a big one. Don't expect it to be a big money maker if you redo it and try to sell it for what you've spent......

Lets see this big ole girl:
fetch

fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Also since it's a "found" project, make sure you can put it in your name. Depending where you live, that may be the toughest challenge. She sure would look good on the water again.

pckeen

Commander
Definitely a cruisemaster. This would be a great project. To get an idea of what you are looking at, run through some of the resto. Threads on here.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It would be nice to see a shot of the ole gals bum :heh:

If you're in for restoring an old tin boat then you shouldn't even worry about what someone else did to her in the past, only dream of what she'll look like when your on the water with her when finished.

Bdonnell

Cadet
I'm not looking to make money on her. For some reason I'm just drawn to her. Just a neat old gal. I love her "headlights" and can't wait to get my hands on her "aft" :D.

I'd like to restore her, and run her around here in St. Louis, MO or Mark Twain lake. places like that. If what I've read is true, and it's an original I/O, it likely only has a 26HP motor. That concerns me a bit from an under power perspective, but still worth playing with. In a 'worst case' scenario, if I find there's a huge hole in her, I can probably take all the cool stuff off, and scrap the hull - at least that's what i'm telling the admiral ;).

I'll know more in a couple weeks, when I can get up to see her in person. I'll take some more pics, and get some more feedback from you guys who have done this before. Like I said, this would be my first attempt at a restoration - Nothing like trial by hurricane :facepalm:...

Thanks for all the feedback!

Bdonnell

Cadet
by the way... did anyone else notice that the bow light is BLUE? :noidea: I asked my B-I-L, and he said it doesn't look faded, it's blue. thought it might be light playing tricks. Is that possible?

jbcurt00

Staff member
The bow light's lense probably IS blue. Amber bulb makes it glow green ;)

Common, very common

64osby

Admiral
55 or 56 based on the cabin windows. The headlights were an add on IMO. Probably done the same time they turned it into an I/O.

Rescue her or flip her, please don't scrap her.

Very cool hull.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I love it! You're already dreaming, thinking, wondering and picturing yourself on the water in her. That is what it takes to bring one of these old gals back, someone who has all that in them. Take the plunge, it will be one of the best thing you've even done, trust me I know.

Bdonnell

Cadet
Well after reading about some of the projects in this forum, and looking at options. I'm going up there on Saturday to get a "good" look at her and see what I may be in for. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Any advice of things to look at besides the obvious (Transom, Loose Rivets, rotted wood, etc)?

Apparently the owner of the farm has died, and the family decided that they're going to auction off all his stuff - This old boat included. The auction will be in April. I may have to bid against someone who just wants to turn her into scrap. :mad-new: After I get a good look at her, I'll have a better idea about what I can realistically spend to get her, and still have $$ for the restoration.

GA_Boater

The family may be open to offers before the auction. An auction company will take some off the top, so a direct sell could net the family more cash. You won't know if you don't ask. :rolleyes:

64osby

Admiral
Also take a hard look at the trailer, tires, lights, bearings, axle, winch. A bad trailer can get expensive.

New tires or a few spares might be required just to get it home.

It doesn't hurt to ask if they would sell it before the auction either. $500 cash waiving in front of them can help promote a pre-auction sale.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look up the boats weight and know the price of unclean aluminum in your area. People usually grossly over estimate what the scrap value of an old tin boat. Grossly may not be a strong enough descriptor

GA_Boater

It's GROSS to scrap a tinny, unless the hull looks like swiss cheese. Then it's an indignity to allow her to get into such a state.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It's GROSS to scrap a tinny, unless the hull looks like swiss cheese. Then it's an indignity to allow her to get into such a state.

Well, yeah, obviously ;)

Looked it up and if it's a 21ft 1955 Cruise Master, it's listed as @ 1100lbs, which is probably a dry weight w/ no outboard. From that you'd have to deduct any and all weight that isn't 5052 aluminum (is that the right alloy?) like steering wheels, cushions, wooden supports, etc. To get top dollar it'd have to be 100% clean aluminum, no paint, which IMO makes it unlikely anyone would put that much work into it.

iScrap an online app, currently lists boat aluminum at $0.15/lb as of last week. That means this boat 100% cleaned out, down to bare aluminum, has a scrap value of approx $150. Plus whatever you can get for the steel trailer. If you were to cut it into small manageable pieces you might get a little more, but I doubt it'd be $0.25/lb. But even at $050/lb, I'd bet anyone that mentions scrap value looking at this big beast, is thinking even more the $500 $0.50/lb nets.

Last trailer I scrapped was a rusted mess, and a fairly small lightweight trailer. Got $12.xx for it as scrap. If I hadn't been going anyway, it likely wouldn't have been worth it for just the trailer. The trailer under that 21ft LS is much more substantial, but it isn't 10 or 15times heavier, so still not a big money maker.

FYI: I am in no way suggesting that YOU consider scrapping it. I bet I know at least 2 people that'd be interested if you aren't, depending on asking $ and where it's located. But I'd bet at least 1 person in the guy that owned it's family thinks it's worth a lot in just scrap, unfortunately that typically isn't the case. Having the recycle #'s handy may help swing it to a pre-auction sale too.

I also know someone who drove over 2K miles (1way) to drag one back to the east coast. But he didn't overpay knowing he'd have a huge fuel bill to go get it.

Bdonnell

Cadet
I will let you know how things look after I look at it. If its too much of a project, I will buy her anyway and see if someone else wants to tackle it. My only hope is that if I can't bring her back to life, whoever does, let's me live vicariously through them...

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a chance to buy one of these a few yrs ago, I goofed around and a seafood restaurant bought it and used it for a sign, makes me sick every time I pass it now