SportJet 90 PWC transplant

WCTori

Seaman
Yep. I get it now. Thanks..... off to the lake friday for more speed tests.

WCTori

Seaman
No Title

Here's an update for those interested, i've created a new exhaust which will eliminate the flooding that takes place due to the water line being lower than the exhaust. I'll be testing it out this coming weekend. This may present new challenges as the new exhaust doesn't yet have a water jacket, but i have re-routed the cooling water into the second half of the U shape. We'll see....... I've also blocked off the drain hole at the bottom of the motor to keep water out. Hopefully enough water can exit thru the exhaust to still keep things cool. We'll see there too.

46.5 on GPS last trip out. Still struggling to keep the jet pump fed. I've also built two different types of intake scoops that should elevate this, but hopefully we can overcome the drag they create.

My biggest concern at this point is the durability of my new exhaust. The motor "POPS" thru the exhaust one time on shut down. I'm afraid it'll blow my rubber couplings either apart, or off when it does this.
Anyone know why these motors did this single pop when shut off ?

Attachments

• photo234987.JPG
    photo234987.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234988.JPG
    photo234988.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 0

WCTori

Seaman
Back from the lake, we've go major overheating issues now. First off, the U shape elbow of the water trap gets way too hot without a water jacket. This was expected, and now confirmed. I'll have to build a water jacket onto now somehow. Bigger problem though, the engine is getting too hot and sounding the overheat alarm within about 4-5 minutes of idle time. Anyone know the flow of coolant water thru these motors ? Water still enters the exh. manifold in the original spot via the same supply as it did when in the Jazz boat. The only thing i've changed is the exit point. It used to flow into the 90* bend of the exh. manifold water jacket. I've had to eliminate that, but now pull water from the top of the manifold and introduce it on the downward side of the U bend. I would have thought that to be the same.... but not so much. After thinking about it awhile, i capped that exit point off, and made the water come out the factory tel-tail port on top of the head. I removed the plastic 1/8" pipe plug and used that for the water exit, plumbed it into the exh. 90* U bend. Still overheats.

Anyone know of a PDF file service manual for this motor ?