First time boat owner w/ ROT

jspags

Cadet
ok, So I am going to start cutting out stringers and I watched some videos but still have some questions. 1st I cut out stringers and grind/sand until its a nice flat surface. Then I glue stringers to hull? (what do I use for the glue?) Once the glue dries i then fiberglass the stringers to the hull? And also what is Peanut butter, 1708, and CSM. And lastly, do i put new foam in before or after i put the deck on? (looks like its been done both ways)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ok, So I am going to start cutting out stringers and I watched some videos but still have some questions. 1st I cut out stringers and grind/sand until its a nice flat surface. Then I glue stringers to hull? (what do I use for the glue?) Once the glue dries i then fiberglass the stringers to the hull? And also what is Peanut butter, 1708, and CSM. And lastly, do i put new foam in before or after i put the deck on? (looks like its been done both ways)

Okay let me see if I can answer your questions to get you started. Once you watch the videos you will get a lot of answers to your questions but I'll try to answer them now as well. Peanut Butter is a name assigned here at iboats for a mixture of polyester resin, cabasil, and chop strand fiberglass. And there are near endless recipes for different consistencies for different uses. Cabasil is a product used to thicken a polyester mix to give you thicker mixtures to use in filets and thing like that. 1/4" chop strand glass is also used in Peanut butter to give strength to the mixture. You will see and learn more about that in the videos as well. 1708 is actually two pieces of fiberglass cloth (material) sewn together to make a cloth used for strength and covering material as you rebuild your boat. the 17 portion of the name is merely 17oz per yard of woven fiberglass mat. The 08 is also a weight for the CSM cloth sewn to the 17 cloth. CSM is just random chop strand mat of fiberglass strands that go every direction unlike woven cloth. That is very good material to allow strength from all directions. Again you will see more as you watch the videos. Lastly the foam is usually poured in after the flooring is installed. And that method is also on the videos. So start with the first video and sit back and see how things work. As you do your own boat, your questions are expected and answered from so many folks that have gone before you. So start watching...

tpenfield

Staff member
As stated . . . The best way to do the foam is after the deck has been installed as it will add strength to the boat as well as provide flotation. Technique is important when doing the foam fill of the hull cavities, so check in for comments when you get to that stage as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to undertake a total boat restoration I stongly suggest that you spend hours reading and studying the hundreds and hundreds of threads here on the forum to get a much better understanding of what you are going to be doing. This IS the Boat Restoration University and EVERTYTHING you will need to know is covered here on this forum. It will save you a lot of time and questions if you do this research now before you start your project. This link Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms will give you some basic terminology and understanding of how to do some things but there are plenty of threads with pics, videos etc that give you up close and personal "Hands On" experience. Take the time and do the research now....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
After reading Wood's link on fabbing decks, stringers and transoms (which is a fantastic source of info that many of us used), you might also search for friscoboater's restorations. His threads are particularly useful because he has LOTS of video to accompany various steps, and that really helps you understand how things can be done. I'd also suggest you look for resto threads of boats similar to yours. You might get lucky and find another Monterey owner who has already tacked what you're facing. That would be lucky!