I'm looking for pictures of a 64 grumman runabout

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about some pix as it sits now:) We LOVE looking at old boats............... maybe I should have said I like looking....

Fiberglass or aluminum boat?

To the best of my knowledge, Alumacraft is the only currently still in production boat maker that goes above and beyond to help vintage boat owners get info about their boats. No response is typical unfortunately.....

Good luck w/ your hunt for a pix

Now about the pix of your boat....??.....

Have a good week

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I am searching for a picture of a 1964 Grumman runabout that is 14'7" long . I am planning to paint it this spring and would like to get a idea on its original colors. I wrote a e-mail to The Marathon Boat Co. [the current makers of Grumman boats]asking them if they had any pictures. They never responded. I searched online but no pictures of that year. Does anyone know or remember what this boat looked like? Thanks for any assistance

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, None of the pictures I can find, using Google, say they are a 1964 Grumman runabout. There are a ton of pictures, of older boats, some of them Grumman some not. All with different paint jobs. I am looking for one that is identified as a 1964. I thought , if I am going to paint it, why not make it look just like it was when new? It is a aluminum hull, and Grumman boats are still being manufactured , in Marathon NY by people who use to worked for that boat company before .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Do you have ANY pix of yours you can post?

Unfortunately, digging thru hundreds (1000's maybe) of google images comparing the details of yours to the pix is often the only way to ID them.

Can you tell if there still original paint (assuming it was painted originally) on the boat anywhere that wasn't removed prior to painting it however its painted now?

I suspect as a runabout it'll have a closed bow, and was probably painted. Is it reg/titled a 1964? Even if it is, don't be surprised if you find a brochure from 1964 that shows a similar boat from Grumman but it doesn't exactly match yours. Did it come w/ a vintage outboard when you bought it? The OB's year may help guide you to what year the boat actually is.

Perhaps it really is a 1964 Grumman, and you are correct, google images has LOTS of tin, glass, Grumman and non-Grumman boats.

Not much info out there:
http://forums.iboats.com/Grumman_Boats

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Grumman

FYI: The Grumman wiki page doesn't even mention Grumman boats, only canoes, so not a lot of them I don't suspect

Use the specs at FG's Grumman library to ID the model of your boat, and confirm the year. Then used that in a google image search too.

again

Good luck

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She is a 64 Grumman. It still has the Id. plate intact, along with the Grumman placard. It is a light blue now but I am not sure if that is the original color. It does have a closed bow section, a small 1 piece windshield , and a rope pulley type steering system . I will post pictures, however right now , here in the northeast , it is rather cold and snowy so they will have to wait till spring. I thought perhaps someone would know this boat , so I could get a jump on it , order some painting supplies and such. I guess I will have to keep searching, for a old Grumman ad maybe. Thank you for the replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Light blue was popular in the mid 60s so it may be the correct color even if not the original paint.

Remove the bow nav light. Unless the previous was extremely diligent, the original bow color will be under it. And many owners aren't willing to remove really well adhered original paint down to bare aluminum, so original paint may be under the current paint.

Do you have a pix of the original ID tag? Does it list a model? That would increase the likelihood a google image search would pull results of the right boat.

I'd bet if the bow is light blue, the hull would be the same color or white/off-white

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
JB is on the right track for discovering original colors. No re-paint job that I have ever seen has removed the windshield. You said it has a windshield. Under that gasket has always revealed the original colors and bow paint scheme to me.